• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Does the Adult Contemporary Music Genre Still Exist?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Back in the 1970's a genre of music identified as 'adult contemporary' enjoyed widespread mainstream popularity. It featured songs by artists like Glen Campbell and Neil Diamond, such as:

A quick google search reveals that there are supposedly still 'adult contemporary' songs enjoying popularity and lists examples by artists like Adele and Ed Sheerhan , but the thing is, I don't really think this type of music shares much if any spiritual stylistic connection with the genre I mentioned earlier. They pretty much share the name 'adult contemporary' and that's it as near as I can tell.

What happened to adult contemporary music - when did it disappear? The stuff I consider 'adult contemporary' must be mawkishly sentimental, and you just don't see that anymore.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I think it still exist. There is a market for it. I remember The Carpenters, America, Bread, et al, as kid growing up. The mawkishness of the music is probably what drove me into new wave/punk/post punk/grunge/post grunge/alternative/industrial, et al. I think it still exist because it appeals to people, especially when they are in love.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think Karen Carpenter had the finest pop voice of the 20th century. I didn't like the Carpenters back then, but now her voice just melts me.

One way to see if the genre is still alive is create a station on Pandora with some of the songs mentioned here, and see what else they play (especially newer songs). I know there are some newer songs out there that would fall into that category.

Of course when I think of more current adult contemporary, I still come up with songs that are 10 years old.

kms

Cyburbian
I think Karen Carpenter had the finest pop voice of the 20th century. I didn't like the Carpenters back then, but now her voice just melts me.

One way to see if the genre is still alive is create a station on Pandora with some of the songs mentioned here, and see what else they play (especially newer songs). I know there are some newer songs out there that would fall into that category.

Of course when I think of more current adult contemporary, I still come up with songs that are 10 years old.
I think that Karen Carpenters voice is about perfect. I like Carol King, too. Or is it Carole? I don’t know.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
KIng's got a good voice too but compared to Karen's it sounds a little rough around the edges. She sounds like a songwriter (which is pretty much what she is).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it still exists but not to the degree it did as there's a lot of crossover between music genres now.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You know, I saw this tread title, and thought it was something I started years ago.

I think adult contemporary still exists, but it's now called "singer-songwriter" and "acoustic". It evolved, and became a bit crunchier over time. Adult contemporary now lives in Boulder, wears a man-bun, drinks IPAs, is an on-again-off-again vegan but doesn't make a big deal about it, and regularly hikes fourteeners with Emily, his yoga instructor girlfriend, and Tucker, a Lab mix. You have no idea what he does for a living, but somehow he can afford an $800,000 Craftsman bungalow and has the time for long trips to Patagonia, Nepal, and Queenstown. Think John Mayer, David Gray, Norah Jones, Jason Mraz, and the like.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bumping:

Watch Big Little Lies on HBO. The theme song and a lot of the music from the eposides are good examples of modern adult contemporary. The music pretty much zero radio airplay, and really isn't really part of the outdoorsy singer-songwriter/acoustic/KCBO genre.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bumping:

Watch Big Little Lies on HBO. The theme song and a lot of the music from the eposides are good examples of modern adult contemporary. The music pretty much zero radio airplay, and really isn't really part of the outdoorsy singer-songwriter/acoustic/KCBO genre.
Good catch, yes, that example seems to be spiritually allied to the adult contemporary music from our youth. More so, at any rate, than the songs currently marketed under the genre name.

Top Bottom