• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

dog parks

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Hey, do you have a separate use for dog parks in your zoning

1. definition?
  2. is it lumped in with places where you allow dog kennels?
  3. If they are not public parks, but private, do you require any special standards? lot size? gated?
  4. would you not allow them in resource protection areas or by large bodies of water or regulated streams/wetlands?
  5. anything else?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I* would say:

1. A fenced-in, open place were dogs may interact with other dogs without leash requirements.
2. No. Totally different use. Are sports complexes and hotels the same use?
3. I think a dog park by definition needs to be fenced in. In our city we have two public dog parks, one major commercial dog park, and several smaller private dog parks, primarily linked to apartment complexes. It may be that there are different standards for the latter, as they are not generally open to the public (limited to renters, etc.) I think one thing that needs to be considered is wasted disposal. Ideally users would clean up after their dogs, but I think the dog park operator needs disposal guidelines.
4. No, I don't think I would (ref. wasted disposal concerns above).
5. Not sure if this comes under zoning, but would operators have to carry any liability insurance against dog attacks (of other dogs or humans)? I mean, the owners would ostensibly be responsible, but the operator may also bear some level of responsibility.

*I am not a planner, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

DVD

Cyburbian
I believe we just classify them as parks. I will have to look into that one.

j.graham

My city has quite a few parks that are not fenced in but allow dogs to be off-leash. The parks are not zoned differently but there are different levels of designation for parks with regard to dogs (e.g. No dogs, dogs allowed sometimes, dogs allowed on-leash, dogs allowed off-leash).