• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dogs and Christmas

Jeff

Cyburbian
OK...going to get the tree tonight. It's going to be doggie's first Christmas.

He's already a maniac and steals everything that isn't tied down in the house. So what do I have to expect? Is he going to pee on the tree in the house (completely housebroken), knock it over, rip all the lights off?

I'm leaning towards all of the above. Please share your humorous dog and christmas stories so I laugh instead of kill the dog when goes crazy with the tree.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
snickers to herself at Mikes dismay

Ok i have had 3 dogs the only one to show any intrest in the tree is the beagle (the no brain wave dog)

he has tried for...4 or 5 years now to eat any shiny thing he can find on the tree. this means the pretty glass balls-he eats it, cuts his mouth all to hell, i pick the glass out and sooth him, he goes right back and chomps on another one.

advice i can offer:
1) get a smallish tree and set it on top of a end table etc so he cant reach if hes a small dog
2) dont let any decorations hang down to his eye level
3) no sparkely bows on things
4) dont put anything under or on the tree that your not willing to part with if he eats it.

5) NEVER put those silver tensle ice sicle things on the tree-he will eat them and poop them for weeks. meaning the end will get stuck in him and you get to pull it out being the good puppy parent. its GROSS
6) give him his own set of presents so he does not get mad-they some how KNOW whats for them and whats not.

if all else fails put puppy *child* gates around the tree in a corner so he cant get to it.

what kind of dog do you have?
PG

jmf

Cyburbian
I heard about a dog which ate a whole box of Quality Street chocolates. I don't think there was enough chocolate to affect his kidneys but his poo was VERY colourful for a while!

Baby gates are the way to go. we have our whole upstairs living room baby gated off. I don't think our dogs would ever intentionally try to take anything off the tree, but i can totally see them getting rambunction and knocking it over in a particularly enthusiastic game of "Bite the Ears".

How big is the dog?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm having the same anxiety about tree purchasing this year... except I have a juvenile cat (she turned 5 months today). She's a little hellion and can jump very high onto things you would normally think she could not reach. My game plan (based on previous hellion cats): 1) Put the tree up on Friday, 2) Anchor it to the wall with fishing line so she can't *totally* knock it over onto things, 3) won't decorate it for a few days (or put lights on) so we can squirt the hell out of her with the squirt gun anytime she comes near the things. And then take the other precautions PG mentioned earlier for the dogs...

It has been a long time since I've had a young dog in the house, but I think PG's recommendations are pretty good. Our dog could jump perfectly vertically and snatch candy canes off the tree without knocking it over. We would find wrappers in his poop for weeks. So don't underestimate puppy ingenuity!

Jeff

Cyburbian
No, No, No.

Baby gates are not the answer. Maybe I need to further define the maniacal tendencies of the pooch.

First of all he's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, mixed with soemthing else (not too sure what), but his runs top out around 35mph, he clears baby gates (and the 5' fence out back) like you and I jump over a twig on the street.

Loves socks, remote controls, and CDs. Would go on a steady diet of used cat litter if permitted, and his stealing utensil (his mouth) reaches my chest when he stands on his hind legs.

My tree is done.

This is going to be a disaster.

And I also have 2 cats who normally knock all the balls off the tree prior to Christmas anyway. Now they can team up, cats knock the stuff off, dog eats it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wow, Christmas at the DeVuono homestead sounds like it's going to be fun this year. Hope you have a video camera handy...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My younger Keeshond ignored the tree. The older one was very excited to see the outdoors indoors and managed to pee on it several times before we noticed.... doggie gates are good (and they work for young kids too I hear).

donk

Cyburbian
and this is without a baby.

just wait until the baby is walking and then see teh fun you'll have

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ok soda is now on the screen-thanks guys!

thank god there are no kids in my house, 2 male room mates and 2 male dogs are all i can deal with sans a break down.

sounds like Mike needs to give up anything that even looks like a tree. sorry mike-yuor screwed on this one bud. but please do it anyway and send us all the vid-i know i need the laughs!

pg

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Mike DeVuono said:
OK...going to get the tree tonight. It's going to be doggie's first Christmas.

He's already a maniac and steals everything that isn't tied down in the house. So what do I have to expect? Is he going to pee on the tree in the house (completely housebroken), knock it over, rip all the lights off?

I'm leaning towards all of the above. Please share your humorous dog and christmas stories so I laugh instead of kill the dog when goes crazy with the tree.
Dogs're stoopid!

Visit the badass "My Cat Hates You" thread.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5348

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yeah, we're not getting a tree because I know Hatcher would destroy it. I got one of those large fitness balls, the kind you do crunches on, he attacked it. He ate 12 pair of socks last week. He ate the key for the lock on his crate. He's crazy. CRAZY! Did I mention he bit me in the a$$?

:) But just so damn cute sometimes.

Oh, if you do decorate, make sure your lights don't have lead, my vet said it's still used in some strands and if the dog chews on them he can get sick.