• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Donate your body?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I agree that it is a cool idea. My class went to the Pasadena Chiropractor College when I was in junior high to see what real human organs looked like. It was kind of gross, but really enlightening. It's probably one of the best field trips we had, that is for actual learning. I probably had more 'fun' on other field trips.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
One of the the exhibits.

(Dan) Ewwwww ... did we get invaded by the Something Awful forums today? Gross image deleted and replaced.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Wow...

I saw Plannergirl post "Donate Your Body", and this was what it was about?!

Talk about a let down...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Well, no wonder she died, that child is as big as Shrek! 8-!

(I'm really hoping that's not a preserved pregant woman)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Reminds me of that Vincent Price thriller "Terror in the Wax Museum," where he uses people he killed as the mold for the wax figures - wax on the outside, dead people on the inside.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Personally, I have no problem with it as long as it is used for medical education purposes. For example, are there plaques for each 'exhibit' pointing out the different body parts, different ailments (normal heart vs. enlarged?). Things that talk about how the different organs work?

OK, from the website:

The exhibition features the instructional display of individual exhibits, thus enabling visitors to experience anatomy step by step as an intrinsic part of their body – quite similar to a three-dimensional textbook.
I have to say that I think there is a fine line to be crossed from educational to exhibitionist shock value (ala Faces of Death).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[admin hat on]

Please do NOT post gross images like that to the forum, or in the gallery. Avoid linking to such images, too. When in doubt, use the "two link rule" - link to a site that has a link to the image.

I'd yellow-card you like I did michaelskis, but the image wasn't as gross ... no blood, and presented as art.

Yes, I deleted the image, and replaced it with something a bit lighter.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dan that image is a hilarious replacement...Nice choice. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sounds interesting... yet I doubt it'll come here... people are just a tad uptight about things like this. Not to mention the everlasting battle for the legaliztion of the day after pill... ugh!