• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Dont know if anybody can help me here.

someguy

hello my name is Benjamin Nelson. I am planning to build a house in Lincoln NE in the next couple of years. The wife and I are not rich and Im really cheap. We want to build a Dome house here in lincoln. We feel were wasting money living in a apartment. What we would like to do is buy some land, put a small modular home(mobile home) on it and live there until we get the house built. Is there any problem with putting a little crap house on some land before and during the building of the real house. Then once the house is built we will sell the mobile home to pay off the loan a bit. Can anybody help? anybody have an idea who I could contact?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The technique you describe is often done in more rural parts of the country and where people see an opportunity to build equity in the lad before building their 'premanent' home. Unfortunately, none of us are likely to be able to answer the question of whether it may be possible for you. Zoning and subdivision regulations vary from state to state, and within states from county to village to city to township. The only thing to do is to first ensure that there are no covenants on the land that would prohibit it, then talk to the local zoning administrator to see if there is any local code that would prohibit it.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Often there is a prohibition against two dwellings on one lot. In your more flexible communities, it might be possible to enter into an agreement stating that the first structure (mobile home) goes away when the other is finished, often with a time limit. Not all places are flexible, however. Also, many places do not like mobile homes. You could seek land with an existing, disposable, dwelling. That being said, follow Michael's advice and check the deed, then the local zoning office.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Users should register if they want to post "what should I do?" type questions. The "Forum Issues and Help" sub-forum is for just that -- forum related issues -- and not for unregistered users to post messages that would be better suited for another sub-forum where registration is required.

I'm moving this thread to the Zoning, Land Use and Current Planning sub-forum. If the OP wants to participate further, they must register.