• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Donut Madness

Seabishop

Cyburbian
''It is,'' she swooned, ''like eating a cloud.'' - Krispy Kreme Fanatic

This is an article about Krispy Kreme vs. Dunkin Donuts in the northeast. It does have good examples though of Krispy Kreme fanatics - those who view it as a cult.

I was let down after all the hype, although I've never eaten them hot. They're too sweet to be donuts, they're more like candy.

El Feo, start camping out - they're coming for you. (Edit: oops, Medford, Medway, Medfield...whatever :) )

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/175/living/Dukin_doughnuts+.shtml

This is where you can buy your KK merchandise
http://shop.krispykreme.com/shirts.html

Jeff

Cyburbian
The whole Krispy Kreme thing is ridiculous. If you freak out that much about food you have a problem, and are probably overweight....

Now where's my BUTTER BURGER !!

BKM

Cyburbian
I am a foodie, but to sit in a car and wait for two hours to buy a dozen donuts -incomprehensible.

Just like there is an article in Sunday's New York Times about "hipsters" who decided that drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon is "cool."

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Seabishop said:

I was let down after all the hype, although I've never eaten them hot. They're too sweet to be donuts, they're more like candy.
I feel exactly the same. Besides, everybody knows Tim Horton's makes the best donuts, eh?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I spent two summers in the Northeast when my wife was working in CT. It is amazing how many Dunkin Donuts there are in that region. There are about one for every person or something. I think we are going to have another corporate advertising war on hands to equal the likes of the Great Cola Wars and Soup Wars.

I cannoty help but think of the Crimson Permanent Assurance.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Donut Madness

Tranplanner said:
I feel exactly the same. Besides, everybody knows Tim Horton's makes the best donuts, eh?
Ewwwwwwww. Tim Horton's isn't all that good.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmm the only donut store that i know here in Chile is in Santiago (like most of everything here, including the 40% of the population in just 2% of the territory) and that store is Dunkin Donuts... and it felt quite good to buy a few and eat them... ahhh the childhood memories.. damn it was deeelicious! :D

Rob's parents used to own a couple area Dunkin Donuts. We once figured out that for every ONE donut I ate as a child, he ate SIXTY!

I really can't explain the donut phenomenon in the Northeast. Dunkin Donut's drivethrough on any morning is just beyond ridiculous, but it is just what you do when you are going to a morning meeting, or helping someone with a garage sale, or moving - you stop and pick up a dozen donuts. We did the Cancer Relay for Life Saturday morning, and of course, someone had stopped and picked up a jug of coffee and a dozen.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There is a Krispy Kreme stand in the lobby of the Hyatt I am in right now. Will I try one? I doubt it. I will be heading over to the steakhouse, though.