• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Double Frontage Flag Lot???

Vlaude

Cyburbian
:-c

Does anyone know of any ordinances that specifically dealing with double frontage flag lots (commercial zoning in this case)? A flag lot in shape that extends around a corner lot having frontage on two streets.

There are some questions regarding a minor sub application, because it creates a flag lot, however like I said it fronts on two streets so I'm not sure what issues there would be? My thoughts are eventually this will be subdivided again down the road once someone builds a little shop on one portion of the frontage creating a short lot and a long lot, both having access to infrastructure etc...

H

Cyburbian
as long as it meets the frontage requirements on both streets I dont see a problem. That way a future subdivision wont have conflict.

donk

Cyburbian
Our By-law defines frontage, where a lot abuts 2 streets, as the narrower of the 2 lot lines. If the person tries to subdivide in the future, the new lot must meet the current standards (frontage, area, depth etc) for the zone the lot is in. If it does not, then a variance may be required/granted.

We have a few of these, one being used for the access point for a Tim Hortons. I doubt in most of our cases that they'll ever be subdivded.