• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"Downers" and Mad Cow Disease

otterpop

Cyburbian
I saw in the news yesterday that the Dept. of Agriculture has put a ban on slaughtering "downers" - animals slated for slaughter who are too sick or injured to stand or walk.

Does anyone else thinks it is incredulous that there wasn't a ban on this in the first place? How did they come up with a pro-"downer" cow ruling in the first place? Is there a "sick" and dying cow" lobby? We are not a Third World country with limited natural resources that we can't afford to pass on some suspect protein. We are hip-deep in cows in this country. I know we are in Montana.

It appalls me that our government supported commerce over public health and safety, and only came out against harvesting sick and injured cows when the glaring light of the media was shown on them.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Originally posted by otterpop, modified by GeogPlanner
It appalls me that our government supported [insert contested policy area here] over public [insert any concern here], and only came out against [insert contested policy area here] when the glaring light of the media was shown on them.
and how does this shock you?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
[cynicism on]
We should all be so lucky as to work in a large federal agency and not be held accountable for our actions and behavior.
[cynicism off]

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hmmmm, I wonder what kind of cow went into the making of the hamburger I'm eating right now?

The govt. does a lot of things we don't know about and would be shocked if we knew about it. Just think how bad the problem would be today if the FDA didn't step in way back in the day.

Tom R

Cyburbian
moo

If you think "downer" cows are bad, you should see them on speed!

el Guapo

Capitalist
[Sarcasm]
Can't we, as a nation, just accept the fact that our national food security requires huge government payments those "chosen ones" in agriculture? After all it is about keeping the family farm alive. That is where the soul of America resides.
Can't we just accept the fact that this generation's "Captain Trips" will only kill an acceptable number of citizens, and that these deaths will pale in comparison to the benefit of keeping American Beef a growing part of our economy.
[/Sarcasm]

My Question for you: Have the shills for Big Beef in the USDA reached the "Luke, I am your father" level of evil, reserved for Enron, and could Big Beef be the new Haliburton? Could Oprah lead us unto salvation, and deliver us from CWD, BSE, CJD or Captain Trips as I like to call it.?

[Obscure Reference]
Hey, next year let's all meet in Vegas!
[Obscure Reference]

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Could Oprah lead us unto salvation, and deliver us from CWD, BSE, CJD or Captain Trips as I like to call it.?
If we are going to probe anyone next it should be Oprah. Something is amiss with her going after the industry that supplies the meat for the tacos I so dearly love. I think the chicken industry is a lot worse that the beef industry, with their beakless chicken and pokemon.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Dudes and dudettes ....

Just say NO to red meat (and pork). Your heart will thank you for it.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Now this is why humans shouldn't go against nature... sh*t like this (Mad Cow) happens..
Cows are herbivores not carnivores. Giving them concentrated food based on cow and other animal leftovers is wrong. Sure cows get fatter quicker than eating their natural diet, but at what cost?

El Feo

Cyburbian
I've never heard of a downer being slaughtered for human consumption in KY. The meat and bones are usually used for fertilizer and/or dog food. Can't speak for Montana, Otterpop, but I'll be mighty surprised if they slaughter them for "people food" there, either.

Skel - despite papers like USA TODAY and other media reporting it WRONG, feeding animal byproducts to ruminants like sheep and cattle has been illegal in this country since 1997 - I'm not saying some unscrupulous producers (small AND large) don't do it, but when they do, it's not because it isn't already illegal.

otterpop

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
I've never heard of a downer being slaughtered for human consumption in KY. The meat and bones are usually used for fertilizer and/or dog food. Can't speak for Montana, Otterpop, but I'll be mighty surprised if they slaughter them for "people food" there, either. .
El Feo,

The mad cow in question was indeed slaughtered for human consumption in Washington State. The meat was part of a lot of over 10,000 pounds of meat that went to Guam, Washington State, Oregon and several other Western states. It was until yesterday permitted by the Dept of Agriculture. I am not surprised you never heard of it in Kentucky. Perhaps there are state requirements other than U.S.D.A. in place in KY. Until a few days ago most people had not heard of this practice. I was not aware of it until this latest mad cow revelation.