• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Downtown design guidelines.

We are looking at adding some Design Guidelines for our downtown. There is some opposition suposedly from downtown business owners, so we are considering making them an incentive rather than an ordinance requirement. Does anyone have any comments one way or the other? If your guidelines are a requirement, was there controversy in adopting them? If they are an incentive, what types of incentives do you use and that work well? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
In my city (in central Texas, USA), we adopted design guidelines as part of a downtown area plan. Most of our actual regulations were determined by the results of a design workshop held two days of a charrette for the downtown plan. It quelled a lot of the fears of local business owners, and led to broad public support when it came time for our city council to adopt the measures.

PM me if you want details.

I would suggest a little of both approaches. Prohibit what you really do not want, and encourage what you would ideally like to see.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator note:
The OP is a spammer from India. Please understand that if you post a response, the OP will probably not be reading them.