• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Downtown....Gary?!?

Supertall

Cyburbian
A forumer over at SSC took these awhile back; I want to see what everyone's impressions are on Gary.

City Hall:

Genesis Center, home to the CBA's Gary Steelheads:

Gary style:

US Steel Yard:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Images don't seem t be loading .... too bad, because I wanted to see if downtown Gary changed any from the last time I saw it, about 18 years ago.

One big problem with downtown Gary is that the city itself was intended to be a blue-collar, back office town. The demand for office space was low, so a skyline that would be as striking as found in other similarly sized cities never developed.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
Damn. Nuthin's still happening.

A few years ago I worked on a photo sim for a group that was working on revitalizing Gary. We showed ground floor retail in that parking deck in the last photo and urban infill of stores with apartments above across the street. So my long hours with eyes glazing over have yet to effect any benefit.

The answer is beyond me. Maybe its the ultimate end product of industrialization. It leaves ruined places and destroyed ecologies with all the effectiveness of an invading army.
Will the Chinese and Indian cities where industry is going now look like this in 100 years?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The pictures don't look so bad considering Gary's supposed to be one of the worst cities in the country. I wouldn't have guessed "Gary" by looking at them. I'm guessing there are much worse areas that weren't photographed.

On the other hand, any town that begat the Jackson Family has got to be pretty screwed up. ;-)

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Those pics seem to celebrate Gary.

Ever see the work of Camilo Jose Vergara? He has a more sympathetic version of Gary.

Got any pics of neighborhoods, churches, or schools?

Supertall

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Those pics seem to celebrate Gary.

Ever see the work of Camilo Jose Vergara? He has a more sympathetic version of Gary.

Got any pics of neighborhoods, churches, or schools?
Sorry I don't, these were taken by a friend who stopped at Gary on his way to CHicago.

simulcra

Well, I've taken the South Shore Line many a time (which passes right by that exact sign saying "<-Chicago Gary->") so I've seen some of those exact scenes outside the window.

I admit, the first time I saw downtown Gary, I was surprised. I was expecting worse.

But still, the pictures ignore the fact that on th eother side of the tracks are swaths of smokestacks and decrepit industrial. Admittedly, my origin is TX where that sort of heavy industrial is lacking, but even compared to the industrial sections of the Chicago River (which I row on as a part of Crew), the landscape around Gary looked pretty grotesque.

BKM

Cyburbian
Solipsa said:
Well, I've taken the South Shore Line many a time (which passes right by that exact sign saying "<-Chicago Gary->") so I've seen some of those exact scenes outside the window.

I admit, the first time I saw downtown Gary, I was surprised. I was expecting worse.

But still, the pictures ignore the fact that on th eother side of the tracks are swaths of smokestacks and decrepit industrial. Admittedly, my origin is TX where that sort of heavy industrial is lacking, but even compared to the industrial sections of the Chicago River (which I row on as a part of Crew), the landscape around Gary looked pretty grotesque.

Ah, but it does represent the remains of the U.S. steel industry. Gary Works and Burns Harbor produce a good part of the integrated steel mill outout, now.

Still, makes you think jresta is right. Was the Industrial Revolution a big, disastrous mistake? heck, some writers I've skimmed claim that the Aborigines are right and AGRICULTURE was a big mistake. :)

boilerplater

Cyburbian
I packed my aforementioned photo sim with pedestrians of multiple ethnicities. The lack of any street life was obvious to us too. Who would want to walk there? Its rather harsh, lots of driveways, no street-level retail, monumental-scale architecture. Its overwhelmingly gray even on a sunny day.

Supertall

Cyburbian
boilerplater said:
I packed my aforementioned photo sim with pedestrians of multiple ethnicities. The lack of any street life was obvious to us too. Who would want to walk there? Its rather harsh, lots of driveways, no street-level retail, monumental-scale architecture. Its overwhelmingly gray even on a sunny day.
Agreed, the only thing in town to do is probably see the Steelhead (CBA) or Rail Cats (Northern League) play.

Gary Steelheads: http://www.steelheadshoops.com/
Gary Rail Cats: http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/home.asp

The U.S. Steel Yard looks like a pretty decent stadium:

Here's a nice site on Gary's architecture:http://members.aol.com/timarends/pixpages/garypix.html