• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Downtown revitalization quick wins

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In reading all these theories of different catalysts for downtown revitalization and all the if/then statements and such, it made me wonder if anyone has examples of quick wins for downtown revitalization that would be enacted by a planning department or with assistance and cooperation of a business association or chamber of commerce. This would be more towards small historic towns with limited budgets.

In reading some other sites and reports, most of them included visual elements and activity events. The visual elements ranged from landscape planters, to flags, to decorative lights zig-zagging over the main street. However, activity was just that, different events and activities that closed off the street and gave people a reason to get downtown and into the businesses.

What are your thoughts and experiences. What are some quick wins that you have been able to achieve when it comes to revitalization of your downtown.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Regular special events that bring people regularly to the downtown area for extended periods.

That is, in my opinion, the best 'low cost' method to reminding people.

Our Main Street program (a private non-profit) was created 11 years ago and went hard into events and within about five years, it was happening.

We do a day long special event at least once a month, but also have a 9a-1p every Saturday outdoor farmer's market, ladies' nights out and, starting this year, first Fridays.

It's been part of the catalyst, but also has been accompanied by strong daytime employment in the downtown (we're the County seat and much of the County offices are right in the downtown), businesses opening that are the operator's livelihood and, I think, a generational shift toward, what I've coined, Small Town Urban.

As for the development review codes and processes, we've also taken a hard look at how we're (the City) are an unnecessary obstacle with excessive procedures and/or regulations.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Top Ten low cost fixes:

1. ask property owners to do window boxes and have a mid-summer contest for the best one
  2. do the same for windows during the holidays
  3. ask anchor businesses in or outside of downtown to sponsor larger planters and put their logo on it - or ask them to sponsor a new bench (banks love to sponsor benches)
  4. if your farmer's market is not downtown, try to move it there, and if it is there, help with a fundraiser for them to have funds to pay a musician to play during the market time (makes the farmer's market more festive)
  5. any owner of any courtyard space (library, bank, offices, whatever) should be approached to partner to have music at lunchtime or weekend afternoons or evenings - or outdoor art shows (crafts too)
  6. get a parade going for a holiday that isn't usually a parade (like Memorial Day or the 4th) but maybe an April Fool's parade, founder's day, zombie halloween parade, homecoming, or any even more obscure holiday - and before, during and after the parade, encourage shops and offices to have sales or open houses
  7. if your town is known for something, have a festival celebrating that history/thing
  8. if your high school wins any championship statewide for any sport, have a parade
  9. call car show organizations and ask them to come visit - have an event to welcome them
  10. have a sidewalk chalk art contest

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Top Ten low cost fixes:
  1. if your town is known for something, have a festival celebrating that history/thing
That is important. It creates more 'community' and can just be a fun time.

And don't be afraid to 'make one up'. There's a small community in my region that didn't have anything interesting they are 'known' for, so they just made one up and went full tilt on it. They're not shy about the origins and actually celebrate it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
That is important. It creates more 'community' and can just be a fun time.

And don't be afraid to 'make one up'. There's a small community in my region that didn't have anything interesting they are 'known' for, so they just made one up and went full tilt on it. They're not shy about the origins and actually celebrate it.
I like that. There are a few things that we can build off of, but I think that we might need to get creative.

Another thing that I realized is that one department should not go it alone, so I have a feeling that I will be bringing in other departments and organizations to really capitalize on everyone's expertise moving forward.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
A few years back we worked a study where we laid out small action steps for downtown. The idea was that they were attainable, short-term goals that a small group of folks could pick up and finish quickly. The categories for our To-Do list were broken up into organization, promotion, design, and economic vitality.

Action items included:
  • restriping parking
  • media and marketing strategy
  • food truck events
  • mobile friendly maps/ app
  • bike rentals/ tour
  • historic preservation education and outreach
  • master trail plan
  • lighting
  • art in vacant store fronts
  • complete streets ordinance
  • gateway improvements
  • park revitalization
  • hire historic tax credit consultant
  • tourism product development
  • market incentive package
I'd say in the past 2 years, maybe half of the goals have been achieved already because they were smaller goals designed to take less time and money. The key that we're probably still lacking is that we need to advertise and celebrate when we finish a goal. That's something I feel like many communities aren't great at -- and because of that, sometimes folks miss what is actually happening and continue to complain that we "make plans that sit on shelves".