• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Downtown Sign Ordinance

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I would share, but we do not have a downtown.

On the other hand, I think that Kalamazoo has theirs online.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I know you asked for good sign ordinances, but I'll start with a good downtown sign design guidelines (PDF) from Davis, CA. It's a pretty good document... lots of pretty pictures. ;)

With downtown sign ordinances, you should probably look for a similar size town for examples. What population range are you looking for, and what type of downtown do you have (strong commercial cbd, older mixed use main street, etc.)? That will help people get you ordinances that will actually work for you...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Thanks!

Our population is 10,500 with an traditional older historic downtown, about 4 blocks by 3 blocks in size. Brick buildlings, majority of which are 2-3 stories in height.

Here's a few (bad) pictures

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
See if you can get rid of that mansard in picture #2. Arched windows must lurk under that, waiting to see the light of day.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here's a suggestion for your sign ordinance:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9821

You must know your town pretty well. Your crazed and charismatic boss has ordered you to implement this (minus the actual sleaze), and he assures you that he will get it through the powers-that-be.

His silver tongue is already convincing the townsfolk that it is the road to getting on the map. Time Magazine, Peter Jennings, Fox ( "In This Small Town Beats a Big-City Heart" )and the BBC all want to do a story, along with the Economist. Business Week wants to put your boss on the cover with the byline, Vision: The New Face of City Planning.

Nothing can stop it now.

People are starting to like it. They are making money as they never imagined. The town is full of bustle. Plans are already underway to expand downtown.

Your boss is running for governor, and you inherit his job. The Lion's Club offers to erect a little plaque in the lobby of City Hall.

The only down side: half a dozen other towns have jumped on the bandwagon. It's become a trend.

You have to think of something, fast, to stay one jump ahead...

Last edited:

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
To stay one step ahead, you could always implement those digital billboards that base what they're advertising on radio signals from passing cars.....
Our downtown sign ords limit size and scale, based on the size of the building, and also generally only allow individual lettering, not big plastic boxes. Awnings are limited in viewshed areas, etc. Our downtown is quite a bit bigger, but if you'd like the ords, PM me and I'll send 'em over.