• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Dreams you didn't want to wake up from...

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
A few nights ago, I had the strangest dream..

I'm standing next to some military helicopter in an airfield. Suddenly a door starts closing and I'm trapped and about to be squeezed. The next thing I know, I'm in the copter flying high in the air. The pilot is an old friend of mine from my pizza delivery days, Mike L.

Looking down at the ground below, I notice such things as Sohio stations and suddenly come to the realization that I have traveled back in time. (In Ohio, all Sohio stations were rebranded BP by 1992). Meanwhile, the pilot has been replaced by this hottie named Andrea, a cute girl from a Econ class I took years ago.

Looking down onto great cityscape below us, I tell her that, judging from the cars on the expressway (no SUVs!) it must be about 1985. We land near a carry-out so I can run in and check a newspaper to see what date it actually is. I ask her to take a guess as to what date and she says March, 1947. I tell her that, first of all there are way too many leaves on the trees for it to be March and secondly the cars are too modern to be 1940s.

Anyway, I get to the store and look at a newspaper and it is dated April, 1980 which is five years off from what I guessed. Soon we are wondering what we should do next. I say we should just hang around in 1980. It would be really cool to see what everything looked like so long ago...all the buildings that were subsequently torn down, gas stations open, etc. And as long as we don't meet up with our "past selves" everything should be OK. I suggested going to Yellowstone to avoid the possibility of meeting up with our past selves, but she replies no because she grew up near Yellowstone!

Meanwhile we decide to get gas at the store for the helicopter. I'm just about to take money out of my wallet to pay for it when I realize that the modern, redesigned $20 and $10 bills would not work in 1980. The clerk - an old lady - says that they take all sorts of "foreign currency" but to avoid suspicion, I hastily grab some ones to pay for the gas, thankful that they were never changed.

The next thing I know is that I am on a train and I see Jerry Seinfeld. I quickly realize that I can take advantage of the situation by usurping some of his best comedy lines because nobody knew who Seinfeld was in 1980. But then, looking my license or something, I realize that it's 1985 and it’s too late. Jerry knows who he is.

There was more to this dream, but that's all I remember. The underlying feeling that prevailed throughout was that this is a dream that I did not want to wake up from: I was with some cutie and we had the whole world of 1980 at our disposal - the possibilities were endless.

But then I realized it was a dream and woke up. Going back to sleep, the dream continued per se, but was not nearly as pleasant as before. I have had other similar dreams, but this is the most intense in a while. The dream had a hold on me for most of the morning, until it began to dissipate.

Anyone else here have a dream that they didn't want to wake up from? If so, please describe.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I have lots of geography geek dreams. Usually they involve seeing some grand city for the first time, often from high vantage points. A common one is that I find a high point where I can see two cities at once. Why can't I just dream about girls and world domination like everybody else?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I have lots of geography geek dreams. Usually they involve seeing some grand city for the first time, often from high vantage points. A common one is that I find a high point where I can see two cities at once. Why can't I just dream about girls and world domination like everybody else?
I have lots of these geographic-related dreams too, as well as many about architecture. (The predescribed one being Georgaphy related with the aerial views from the Helicopter). I used to keep a dream journal and about 30% of the dreams had some kind of architectural or geographic-related theme.

Back in the late '70s and early '80s I used to have the repeat dream in which I visited this lost town of sorts. It was some kind of bizarro town, named Silica (which is a real village near where I live) but in the dream it was much larger, and more vibrant. It was full of wood framed buildings and with trolley lines still active.

I think it dream was a extension of my deep seated-repressed longing for the idealism of small town America, long since extinct: Perfectly designed downtowns unsullied by later alterations and demolitons for parking lots with public transportation at it's most efficient and not degraded by the repression of the automobile.

So you're not the only geography geek out there!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I've also had these geography geek dreams/day-deams, mainly when I was heavily plugged into ASC(Amish Sim City ;))