• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Drink Under the Table - As Inspired by Habanero

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Just set me up with hard cider or Campari and soda, and I can go (slowly) all night. It might take me two hours to finish a drink, but if we're going on time rather than quantity....

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
However, I am curious about how a cherry bomb would taste.

I had a friend at UT that would bring a jar of them to parties. He would soak regular cherries for a few weeks in moonshine then take the cherries and dip them in chocolate. There would always be a bowl lying around the table next to the chips, mixers, cups, and whatever. They were very good. Even people who did not drink ate them. But if you had one too many, watch out, the entertainment has arrived!

You could also drink the cherry flavored shine out of the jar when the cherries were gone. :-D

I have had shine many times and many ways, but this is the best.

Unlike this one juke joint were the shine was so strong if you did not drink it with in 10 minutes it would eat through the Dixie-cup they served it in. :(

SGB

Cyburbian
[ot]
My dad has a great story about his first job out of college - selling Vicks products. Part of his sales territory included the Central Appalachia region.

On one particular in-person cold call, the store proprietor invited Dad to enjoy some 'shine with him. Anything for a new sale, right?

Dad apparently enjoyed the shine so much, he had no memory of how he got back to his motel that evening. And he was so hungover the following day that he couldn't work.

Needless to say, when I was offered 'shine once during college, I respectfully declined.[/ot]

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
had good ol shine once before and i thought my stomach rotted away the next morning.
any canadian beer is good and i've been building up that vodka tolerence. jimmy beam is good on the rocks and for those of us on the rocks with low cash, nothing beats O.E. High Gravity 40oz. Maybe you should have a contest to see how many of these everyone can drink.

donk

Cyburbian
If we are going to stoop to rot gut, how about some Mad Dog 20/20 (nail polish remover) or Alcools (no name grain alcohol)?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
donk said:
If we are going to stoop to rot gut, how about some Mad Dog 20/20 (nail polish remover) or Alcools (no name grain alcohol)?

yep good old MD, "MAD DOG" the choice of a whino who just bummed change from you!"

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I think DoD posted his in Urbanyoda's introduction thread...

Yup, posted it to the person who will need it most in a place where it won't be plentifull :)

A sgt from Nam was making the stuff in the back of the 5 ton in GW 1 (1991). Battalion XO caught him while searching for a water jug durring one of the many water shortages. He did the worst thing possible to that poor bugger. He poored it out into the sand without getting a drop of it :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
anybody part take or see results of an
Everclear Garbage Can Punch Party?

biscuit

Cyburbian
JNA said:

Yep. One of the first times I hung out with the future Mrs. Biscuit was at a PJ (Everclear, HiC, fruitjuice and fruit all mixed together in a garbage can) party she had at her place. Everone came wearing their PJ's and nighties, and drank that stuff for hours on end. Needless to say it was a good and interesting evening. ;)

I'll have to hunt down some pictures and post them. On second thought that's probably not such a good idea.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:

Ever have "Cisco"? We called it "liquid crack"...

SGB

Cyburbian
JNA said:

Partook once. After that, I was a concerned observer at future such events.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is this moonshine you speak of? some poorly distilled alcoholic breverage?

One delicious treat is to macerate fruit in rum.. Grapes and buleberries are extremely dangerous in that matter.. they suck a lot of alcohol! Yum...oh Rumtopf how I love thee :p And the drink is quite good too :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Recent comments about 'Irish livers' have prompted me to bump this ancient thread (was going to start an 'alcohol tolerance' thread but see this one was already started long ago). Some folks hold their liquor better than others that's for sure.

I also think it's interesting to note how Cyburbian culture has changed a bit over the past 5 years. If an alcohol-related thread was started last week would it garner three pages of responses nowadays? Probably not.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Recent comments about 'Irish livers' have prompted me to bump this ancient thread (was going to start an 'alcohol tolerance' thread but see this one was already started long ago). Some folks hold their liquor better than others that's for sure.

I also think it's interesting to note how Cyburbian culture has changed a bit over the past 5 years. If an alcohol-related thread was started last week would it garner three pages of responses nowadays? Probably not.

:-c I don't even remember writing those words! That couldn't have been me! (I have a better camera now so the pictures would be much more clear. :p)

Queen B

Cyburbian
Where's Rumpy? I can't drink he or Budgie under the table but I did hold up in Reno at the National Convention if I do say so myself.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've been in rehab for 3 months. Like Kramer in "The Contest":.... I'M OUT!"

boiker

Cyburbian
I had been complaining of an ever weakening tolerance the past couple years, but strangely enough, I was able to put back 8 beers the other night without feeling sloppy stupid and spinny.

I just like drinking as I my buddies talk about "important stuff, man" and taking notice as the conversation gets more and more ridiculous.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Not sure how big Giff might be... but I'm good sized and Irish. Make it Bushmills and I'll be singing bawdy tavern songs you'll never hear because you're passed out! :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bear Minimum

I am considering placing this ad in the local newspaper, in the LOST & FOUND classifieds.....

LOST, ABILITY TO DRINK A LOT

Aging Bear, weakened by the stress and strain of nearly 60-years of living strong, looking to locate lost ability to drink a lot. Last seen in 1984, on the Sunday evening that the Detroit Tigers won the World Series. Ability probably misplaced on sticky floor of Toledo, OH, tavern that is now closed, The Dugout.

Film evidence does exist via dusty but still operable VCR tape of local television station interview (Toledo 11) filmed prior to losing ability to drink a lot. Research indicates that during the interview Aging Bear did, indeed, have the ability to drink a lot. The video does not show the Kamikaze glasses lining the bar, though it does show Aging Bear jumping up at final out, swinging hairy arms wildly, knocking hat off of head of good friend (Marcia).

Ability to drink a lot was thought to be finally found, during some 1990s visits to Put-In-Bay, OH, evidenced during one visit by Aging Bear sunning and spinning on picnic table at 4:00 PM on a sunny summer day.

But it appears that ability to drink a lot has not surfaced and may be lost for Aging Bear's eternity. If you see hints or solid evidence that the lost ability to drink a lot has been found, please contact the ad holder, via this newspaper. There is a reward.
_____

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm pathetic. I rarely drink beer. I think maybe 2-3 times in 3 yrs, but for some reason I wanted a couple by the pool today. That has seriously impaired my wine-sipping for the evening.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a cheap drunk these days too....couple glasses of wine or a couple pints of beer and I am ready to call it a night. Back in the day I could get through several times that, I guess getting stupid drunk has just lost its appeal. I drink for quality now :D

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Not sure how big Giff might be... but I'm good sized and Irish. Make it Bushmills and I'll be singing bawdy tavern songs you'll never hear because you're passed out! :-D

I'll take your Irish and raise you 1/2 Irish and 1/2 German . That being said, I have gained the wisdom to decline most drinking contests. It just takes too long to recover at my age.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
:-c I don't even remember writing those words! That couldn't have been me! (I have a better camera now so the pictures would be much more clear. :p)

THis is the thread that makes me oh so proud to be a Texas State alumnus! :b: