• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Signs / billboards Drive-through lane signs

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
What is your jurisdiction's regulations concerning menu board signs located at drive-through lanes? Do you have separate requirements or does it constitute one of your permitted monument signs?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
We don't regulate them as they are treated as "instructional signage" and exempt from our sign code.

Though, I have worked for two munis that had specific regulations for them in the sign code.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
We don't regulate them as they are treated as "instructional signage" and exempt from our sign code.

Though, I have worked for two munis that had specific regulations for them in the sign code.
What is your definition of "instructional signage?"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
What is your definition of "instructional signage?"
INSTRUCTIONAL SIGN. "Instructional Sign" means a sign that has a purpose secondary to the use on the lot and that is intended to instruct employees, customers, or users as to matters of public safety or necessity such as specific parking requirements, the location or regulations pertaining to specific activities on the site or in the building, and including a sign erected by a public authority, utility, public service organization, or private industry that is intended to control traffic; direct, identify or inform the public; or provide needed public service as determined by the rules and regulations of governmental agencies or through public policy. Such sign shall contain the minimum information and be of the minimum area and height necessary to convey its intended message, and shall be located so as not to attract attention from the perimeter of the site.

DVD

Cyburbian
My last city regulated them. I don't remember the exact numbers, but something like 3 panels max, 24 sqft of sign area (the menu part only, not the total board).
Here we ignore any sign that is not oriented to roadside traffic. It lets me ignore all the instructional signs.

The hard part, with the new court ruling I would question if we can label instructional signs based on the content. That's why I went for signs not intended to be read by adjacent street traffic - pedestrian traffic is not an issue hear.

TOFB

Cyburbian
If they are directed to on-site customers we don't regulate.

dw914er

Cyburbian
We do not have any specific regulations, but as part of the initial drive through site design process, we work to ensure that the orientation allows any future menu board sign to face away from the street frontage.