• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Drive- through menu signs

Repo Man

Cyburbian
How do your communities regulate drive-through menu board signs at fast food restaurants?

We currently have no regulations, but a certain fast food chain now wants to have two menu board signs; one for those waiting in line, and one where you order at.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We treat them as informational signs exempt from the district regulations. However they are reviewed by Plan Commission for locationn and aesthetics. If you expect heavy stacking and its not a bad idea, especially if it makes the queue move faster (which I'm sure is their goal too).

nerudite

Cyburbian
In Davis it was one board per drive through lane (with only one land allowed except in the Commercial Highway zone).

Here is the other restriction from Davis: "Menu board shall be a maximum of thirty square feet, with a maximum height of six feet, and shall face away from the street."

In Vancouver we didn't regulate them as signage, and we didn't have any particular drive-through standards... so it was a free for all.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
My impression is that it is evolving into standard practrice, having two menu boards that is.

I think they are generally out of the way and are clearly informational. I would recommend 2 signs as it can help move the stacking, but would scrutinize the sizes.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Most of them in my area have 2 already. Can't fit all that artery clogging info onto one board. They are usually side-by-side though.

I've seen the volume of them regulated frequently.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
"...displayed information not visible/readable from a public street are not regulated as signs."

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Ours doesn't regulate them rather than to say that their size is not to be used when computing overall sign area.