• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

drive-through ordering?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
McDonald's testing new ordering system

Reported in the SE Missourian in Cape Girardeau
http://www.semissourian.com/story.html$rec=126044

"The next time you're in the drive-through of the McDonald's on Broadway saying you want that super-sized, you're not talking to anyone in the building.

In fact, you're not talking to anyone in the state. You're talking to someone in Colorado.

Huh?"

(Dan) Repaired link

Repo Man

Cyburbian
That seems incredibly stupid to me. How many people in Colorado are on call? If you don't have one per McDonalds, people will have to wait anyhow. Why don't they just have one person in the restaurant doing the same thing...taking orders and that is it.

This also seems to contradict their anger at the McJobs term. The article states "The workers in Colorado take the orders and send them back to the store, quicker and more accurately than an in-store worker who has to handle filling the orders and making change. " So essentially McDs is saying that their employees are far too stupid to do three tasks at once.

Maybe they should work on a system to improve the quality of their food instead of this stuff. Mc Donalds just doesn't get it. They think that every single factor except their unhealthy food is the reason their sales keep declining.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Is it really that expensive to have a minimum wage kid at the drive through window? As someone with proud drive through experience they're going to mess up with out of the ordinary orders. It seems just like a way for McDonalds to show off.

OT: I was in Burger King about a year ago (no, I don't eat there a lot) and a guy ordered dozens of raw meat patties for his "wolf." The cashier thought it was funny but didn't ask too many questions. I wasn't close enough to ask either. Whether he has a wolf in some suburban backyard or just calls his dog a wolf I'll never know - unless the wolf ends up in the newspaper for bad reasons.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I can't hear or understand any drive through I have been trough lately. How do they expect me to hear it long distance? I am just glad they put in those "screens for accuracy."

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
How long before the corporate offices realize:

'Oh, my McGod! If we close this Colorado office and move the McCenter off-shore we can save $5.10 per hour per McLaborer!'
'But what about the McForeign accents?'
'Who McCares? We have the McScreens! And all that McProfit!'
'McBwhahahahahahahahah!'

H

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
How long before the corporate offices realize:

'Oh, my McGod! If we close this Colorado office and move the McCenter off-shore we can save $5.10 per hour per McLaborer!'
'But what about the McForeign accents?'
'Who McCares? We have the McScreens! And all that McProfit!'
'McBwhahahahahahahahah!'

Kind of like when you call some 1-800- tech support numbers you are often connected to some cubical in India?

My cousin is a computer programmer and scared to death that his job is moving to India. :( His company alreadt has moved the tech support.

It is not far off, what you say.

ludes98

Cyburbian
H said:
It is not far off, what you say.

Not far off? I would say more like happening daily. My wife briefly worked for an Indian immigrant that was always helping companies do this and also serving as a middle man importer from China.

I would support the idea if it actually worked better, but it just doesn't.

H

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
My wife briefly worked for an Indian immigrant that was always helping companies do this

That is great, he is here living the American dream by taking away our jobs and sending them back to his county. :-S

How do we let this happen? I wish I had a solution, but I am just blank. :(