• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Duke of Dystopia, Planderella, PlannerGirl, Zoning Goddess...where have they gone?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I have been on Cyburbia since 2003. Admittedly, there have been a few years when I did not even click on my Cyburbia bookmark. But these are a few names I remember from the past that were frequent contributors but seem to no longer be on Cyburbia. Death? Taxes? Retirement? Burnout?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Duke plays Fantasy Football every year or so, but hasn't been on the Board since 2018.

ZG is married to RJ, who comes around fairly often (like weekly maybe).

PlannerGirl hasn't been around since 2011.

Planerella hasn't been around since 2013.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Last year I almost got to see Planerella and her DH in RL. They were on a Mardi Gras float tossing beads, and I knew which float, that they were on the sidewalk side, and approximately when it would roll past the closest intersection to my lodging. But I had to hoof it over to my band's gathering spot ("to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be LATE").

ZG did some DNA work and tracked down several birth relatives. It's a joy to see photos she posts. A few weeks ago she met her birth father!

You can pretty much tell who works for a governmental bureaucracy by how often they post. :up:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I miss them too.

A few left intentionally. One day they were active, the next they were gone for good. I don’t always know what drove their decision to leave the forum itself, but many still belong to the Cyburbia Facebook group, liking each other’s posts and updates. Some others drifted away slowly. For some, other social media platforms took the place of their activity on Cyburbia - @pete-rock comes to mind. (He used to be very active here, but I don’t think he ever mentioned Cyburbia on his well-regraded blog. :( ).

I sent out a few mass emails since moving the message board to XenForo. Hundreds of members -- a lot of one-and-dones, but also a bunch with three and four digit post counts -- had invalid email addresses. I have no way of contacting them. For all they know, Cyburbia is still some relic of the early 2000s. I always get a bunch of “close my account” emails after an announcement, usually from those who only had a few posts.

I think we've done a great job through the years of making Cyburbians feel welcome and comfortable, regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, or political beliefs, without getting all PC.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Last year I almost got to see Planerella and her DH in RL. They were on a Mardi Gras float tossing beads, and I knew which float, that they were on the sidewalk side, and approximately when it would roll past the closest intersection to my lodging. But I had to hoof it over to my band's gathering spot ("to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be LATE").

ZG did some DNA work and tracked down several birth relatives. It's a joy to see photos she posts. A few weeks ago she met her birth father!

You can pretty much tell who works for a governmental bureaucracy by how often they post. :up:

Bwahaha! Yes. Fair enough. I don't post nearly as often as I used to (and I was never as prolific a poster as many on here) but I certainly post a lot less now that I'm no longer in local government work. Much busier these days with meetings, developing and maintaining client relationships, marketing, speaking engagements, etc. etc. I do miss engaging more often in the conversations in there, though, and have met some pretty cool people from this board, some of whom I still see and keep in touch with regularly!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Does one ever stop being Canadian?

At some point you have to result to supplements to keep up one's Canadian-ness.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Does one ever stop being Canadian?
Sure. My maternal Grandfather stopped being Canadian in 1932 when he became a naturalized US citizen at the same time and method that my maternal Grandmother stopped being German.

btrage

Cyburbian
Hi. I stopped posting regularly in 2014, with only a handful of posts since then. l still drop in from time to time and lurk around. Life/work just got WAY too busy and unfortunately there were a handful of regular members who really started to annoy me. Not that they were doing anything mean or inappropriate, but I just couldn't stand their posts anymore.

I am very selective about who I friend/follow on my other social media accounts. If it doesn't bring me happiness or bothers me, I have no time for it.

...unfortunately there were a handful of regular members who really started to annoy me. Not that they were doing anything mean or inappropriate, but I just couldn't stand their posts anymore.

(OMG) If I happed to be a regular member who inadvertently annoyed you, please say so. I would leave Cyburbia if it meant your returning and regularly posting. You were among almost everybody's favorites and you are greatly missed.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Folks need to be aware that there is an "ignore" feature.

I might be using it on a couple folks.

Veloise

Cyburbian
(OMG) If I happed to be a regular member who inadvertently annoyed you, please say so. I would leave Cyburbia if it meant your returning and regularly posting. You were among almost everybody's favorites and you are greatly missed.
Seems excessive.

If I join a forum (let's say, instrumental music) and another poster "doesn't like" my contributions, it's not incumbent on me to revise my digital life to exclude myself from something I care about.
This really happened. A small special-interest community band organization was deaccessioning the contents of their storage locker. I shared this info with a larger group, where the resident curmudgeon demanded more details. He reached out to the band group -- which wasn't me -- and made some purchases. When they didn't arrive with Amazon-like speed (the storage locker was packed with sheet music; someone would have had to take the time to travel to it, find the folders, take to shipping company), he came after me, posting message after message claiming that I had defrauded him. I replied with increasing amounts of detail, citing the name of the band group, their home base several states away, etc.
Some months later one of his heirs logged onto his computer to advise the group that he had died. I didn't send condolences.

In the case of the several (?) people on here who find me "annoying" or whatever, the remarks aren't worth dignifying with a response. (If memory serves, one called me out for my choice of vehicle -- the car that I drive -- I sure wouldn't revise that choice just because someone else "doesn't like" it.)
I've had to ask the admins to step in and tone down some of the slamming, which people shouldn't be doing anyway.
I did take several months off due to nonsense.

Again, the "ignore" feature can be a big help. :up:

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Not that they were doing anything mean or inappropriate, but I just couldn't stand their posts anymore.

Do we have an ignore feature on this forum? I take advantage of ignore on other forums. On a sports forum I post to there's a guy who typically writes 4 paragraphs when a sentenced will do. I got tired of wading through his word salad to try to see if he was making a point. Then there's another who, even though he doesn't try, filters every attitude (on the same sports forum) through a political filter. It's not that he's trying to make political points, but his whole system of language seems to go through a political lens.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Do we have an ignore feature on this forum? I take advantage of ignore on other forums. On a sports forum I post to there's a guy who typically writes 4 paragraphs when a sentenced will do. I got tired of wading through his word salad to try to see if he was making a point. Then there's another who, even though he doesn't try, filters every attitude (on the same sports forum) through a political filter. It's not that he's trying to make political points, but his whole system of language seems to go through a political lens.

Just hover over the poster's name and there is a button you can click to "Ignore". I don't believe you can ignore a moderator.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
ChocolateChip was one of the most outstanding members when it came to Workplace and Careers. I didn't realize exactly how much he put into Cyburbia at the time, but take look at this search: https://www.cyburbia.org/forums/search/8385/

P.S. Love his avatar too!
I looked at a few old threads of his - some from as far back as ten years ago - and it was just truth bomb after truth bomb on the realities of planner life. I think he eventually got out of the field and started brewing beer or something.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian