• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Duke of Dystopia, Planderella, PlannerGirl, Zoning Goddess...where have they gone?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I have been on Cyburbia since 2003. Admittedly, there have been a few years when I did not even click on my Cyburbia bookmark. But these are a few names I remember from the past that were frequent contributors but seem to no longer be on Cyburbia. Death? Taxes? Retirement? Burnout?

• Sad
Reactions: Dan

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Duke plays Fantasy Football every year or so, but hasn't been on the Board since 2018.

ZG is married to RJ, who comes around fairly often (like weekly maybe).

PlannerGirl hasn't been around since 2011.

Planerella hasn't been around since 2013.

• Sad

Veloise

Cyburbian
Last year I almost got to see Planerella and her DH in RL. They were on a Mardi Gras float tossing beads, and I knew which float, that they were on the sidewalk side, and approximately when it would roll past the closest intersection to my lodging. But I had to hoof it over to my band's gathering spot ("to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be LATE").

ZG did some DNA work and tracked down several birth relatives. It's a joy to see photos she posts. A few weeks ago she met her birth father!

You can pretty much tell who works for a governmental bureaucracy by how often they post. :up:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I miss them too.

A few left intentionally. One day they were active, the next they were gone for good. I don’t always know what drove their decision to leave the forum itself, but many still belong to the Cyburbia Facebook group, liking each other’s posts and updates. Some others drifted away slowly. For some, other social media platforms took the place of their activity on Cyburbia - @pete-rock comes to mind. (He used to be very active here, but I don’t think he ever mentioned Cyburbia on his well-regraded blog. :( ).

I sent out a few mass emails since moving the message board to XenForo. Hundreds of members -- a lot of one-and-dones, but also a bunch with three and four digit post counts -- had invalid email addresses. I have no way of contacting them. For all they know, Cyburbia is still some relic of the early 2000s. I always get a bunch of “close my account” emails after an announcement, usually from those who only had a few posts.

I think we've done a great job through the years of making Cyburbians feel welcome and comfortable, regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, or political beliefs, without getting all PC.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The one person that comes to mind is Michele Zone. I understand she was banned.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Last year I almost got to see Planerella and her DH in RL. They were on a Mardi Gras float tossing beads, and I knew which float, that they were on the sidewalk side, and approximately when it would roll past the closest intersection to my lodging. But I had to hoof it over to my band's gathering spot ("to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be LATE").

ZG did some DNA work and tracked down several birth relatives. It's a joy to see photos she posts. A few weeks ago she met her birth father!

You can pretty much tell who works for a governmental bureaucracy by how often they post. :up:
Bwahaha! Yes. Fair enough. I don't post nearly as often as I used to (and I was never as prolific a poster as many on here) but I certainly post a lot less now that I'm no longer in local government work. Much busier these days with meetings, developing and maintaining client relationships, marketing, speaking engagements, etc. etc. I do miss engaging more often in the conversations in there, though, and have met some pretty cool people from this board, some of whom I still see and keep in touch with regularly!