• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

dum-de-dum-dum

biscuit

Cyburbian
Maybe I was just brainwahed in that commie "leftist-intellectual" school I attended...but did I read that same book?
I'm all for some social libertarianism but what is he taliking about?

H

Cyburbian
Thanks for the post Führer* Tom R.

*(see Paragraph 11 of Section “Jacobs on the Nature of Planning”)

Jane Jacobs has some points; I enjoyed the article (have not read the book, but might). However, like everything, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Example of points I agree with:

1. She says, “All of this is in sharp contrast to the life of the neighborhoods beloved by mid-century urban planners. There, "rational" planning kept uses strictly separate, with offices, factories, shops, and residences segregated into their own areas by strict zoning laws. As a result, neighborhood streets would be deserted for long stretches of time—and therefore dangerous. The increased danger would serve to further discourage pedestrian use of the streets.”

I could not agree more.

2. (Much) private planning is profit motivated. I could not agree more.

3. Also, I like her criticisms of New Urbanism being unconnected. This is a problem. So many times “NU” communities are built by themselves in the ‘burbs. I don’t get that concept.

If points in article are not listed above, then I most likely don’t agree (too many to list).

Tom R

Cyburbian
Führer

Huston said:

Methinks that "Führer" means "leader", at least it did before Adolph got ahold of it. I think I have said before in one of my battles that I have real trouble following leaders, even good ones. And, anyone that follows me is a bigger fool than I am. Hard to believe, ain't it.

Anyway, I might read your reference if and when I come across it.

My real question is how did you get your computer to do the omlout (sp.) thing? That's cool.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Führer

Tom R said:
My real question is how did you get your computer to do the omlout (sp.) thing? That's cool.
It is a combo of the “Alt” key and number sequences. I don’t know where I got the list of codes, but will scan and post my copy if you like. It has most all letters from all languages.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Führer

Tom R said:
Huston said:

Methinks that "Führer" means "leader", at least it did before Adolph got ahold of it. I think I have said before in one of my battles that I have real trouble following leaders, even good ones. And, anyone that follows me is a bigger fool than I am. Hard to believe, ain't it.

Anyway, I might read your reference if and when I come across it.

PS.

And no offense Tom R, but just to clear things, I was NOT calling you “my” Führer. :)

Read the sited section of article for further explanation, Or not.