• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

E-Bikes

TOFB

Cyburbian
Well I made the upgrade to an e-bike. My 10 yr old Schwinn Sierra needed a bunch of work and quire honestly, was not fun to ride to work anymore. My ride home is only 1.75 miles but a 250 foot uphill grade. The electric assist makes it a joy, almost laughable. I am riding pretty much every day instead of 1-2 times a week.

kms

Cyburbian
A few of my friends ride ebikes. Two are new to cycling and went straight for ebikes. Another wouldn’t be able to ride much at all if it weren’t for having an ebike.

I’m going to start an envelope for one. I’m not ready for one now, but I’ll be a few bucks ahead if decide to get one.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
that sounds awesome!

they are an issue in bike paths that don't allow engines so I am not sure what's up with that

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
that sounds awesome!

they are an issue in bike paths that don't allow engines so I am not sure what's up with that
They are not allowed on most of the bike paths here (no motorized vehicles) and there are a few communities in the area that actually enforce it. For some reason, I always imagine the people that get cited for it are about 75 years old and on their way to the senior center.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The bikeshare here in Fort Worth recently introduced E-bikes. I tried one- it would take some getting used to. They add power based on how hard you pedal. The first stroke from a standstill for me just about pops a wheelie without even trying.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
So for $600 you can pedal less?
Some isn't less than none. When I demoed an e-bike for a couple of weeks, I used it to do things and go places I could not have gone and would not have done with my regular bike.
  • Kid pickup at aftercare 15 miles away, within the time cutoff and without leaving work early? Done.
  • Cross-town meeting in work clothes without sweating? Done.
  • Bunch of property inspections, close by by up a big hill from the office? Done.
  • Urban shopping trip through intersections that are scary to pedal through slowly but feel safe if you can get up to 15mph as fast as the cars? Done.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Unfortunately, Limebike is pulling out of our region. Some wild-ass guesses as to why:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm kicking around adding an e-Bike to my stable. The area we live in is very hilly, which isn't a problem by-myself, but I've figured that dragging a kid trailer up and down those hills is going to be really rough. I played with a friend's e-Bike with a stretched "utility" configuration and it was pretty awesome.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Fort Worth has a pretty big cycling population, but B-Cycle bikeshare is ever expanding. I've never actually rented a B-Cycle but a lot of friends (even those who own bikes) do it out of convenience. We've had people on group rides experience mechanical issues that make their own bike unrideable; they just go to the nearest B-Cycle station and check out a bike and continue the ride.