• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

E-planning

My Planning Department Allows Citizens to Participate On-line

• Yes, my agency actively encourages a variety of ways for citizens to participate in planning

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • No Way, my agency is behind the times

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Hello,

I'm doing some research about E-planning projects. Has your community had innovative on-line citizen participation?

I'm looking for examples of how cities/governments have used the internet in getting citizens involved in the planning process.

Examples might be placing a citizen survey on-line, on-line applications, discussion boards about planning issues.

I'm looking for any and all examples.

Thanks for your help!

Glomer

We have gone as far as thinking about it.....does that count?

As many planners tend to wear many hats.....I am also the Webmaster for our cities website and have thought about placing survey questions regarding planning issues.......however I haven't had the time to do it, and I'm not sure exactly what I would do with the answers (other than either get pissed off, or try to use them to my advantage)

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
You bring up a good point, what do you do with the answers you get. Maybe others will be able to tell us how they have used on-line surveys.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We haven't posted surveys. but we have posted "draft" or "progress documents" with a link to send feedback to the department.

We just started an Economic Development Plan that will be web intensive. When it launches I'll post the link.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Somewhat related: The College Avenue Reconstruction web site for the City of Appleton, WI. It was mainly intended to keep people informed of planning, and more particularly, the construction progress of Appleton's "Main Street." It iven had rooftop cameras with live updates. The project is done but the site is still in place for a while. Sorry I don't have the URL, but just do a search on Appleton College Avenue.

donk

Cyburbian
city of fredericton did an e-planning/consultation about two years ago. from all accounts it was a success.

here is a link tot eh final product.

If I remember correctly, some of the planning staff went to a conference in Sweden to present the techniques and how they e-planned for this document.

The Land Use and Transportation Plan that I'm working on had an online community image survey that allowed citizens to participate.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I had an on-line transportation survey posted where I used to work - it supplemented a mail-out survey. Didn't get a lot of on-line response, but then again, it wasn't really advertised.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Appleton site is http://www.collegeave.info. Come to think of it, we did an on-line housing survey a few years ago. I didn't recall it because it worked out very poorly. We had so little response we never used the results. I would be willing to try it again. More people are on-line, we have better databases, and the city, cda and chamber all have better web presences. We would likely get better results.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We post draft versions of neighborhood plans and newsletter and that is about it. We so behind with regards to technology that it is a joke. I have tried and tried to change things, but to no avail. People here still refuse to use Microsoft Access, they still use Lotus Approch!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Having invested quite a bit of energy and money in two major attempts (both in wealthy communities with high levels of Internet penetration) to communicate with lots of folks on-line, I have learned what I should have known. People who participate in civic affairs are by and large interested in face to face contact. Even people who use email at work all the time, are getting involved in a planning effort because they want that contact and the accompanying sense of community. I am sure there are cases of at least some success out there, and I certainly think it is a good idea to make materials available for downloading, but it is increasingly clear to me (I am also watching some folks try to use one of the widely-discussed new simulation packages that is supposed to help foster citizen involvement) that the best planning tools are still markers, masking tape, and butcher paper.

Jeff

Cyburbian
My old job still uses those Macintosh's from like 1980. You know with the 4 inch monitor and hard drive all rolled inot one. They just got e-mail less than a year ago.

Talk about backwards.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Citizen participation?! ? Ha ha ha ha!!!

It's hard enough to get my town to post meeting agendas on the website, let alone solicit resident input about planning issues. I think they would just like us peons to go away and let them approve every project that is presented to them.

What a joke...<sigh>...

nerudite

Cyburbian
At the City of Vancouver I was webmaster of the Development Services department page for a few years, and I established an automatic routing e-mail system for various types of questions. That way if someone had an enforcement or zoning question on the weekend/night, they could e-mail it in and it would be dealt with first thing on Monday. It worked out pretty well while I was there, but I really don't know if they still use it or whether it is still successful. I think at least providing e-mail links and a FAQ provides some people with the tools they need to know where they can get more info.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
The City of Jacksonville, FL has done several online surveys as part of planning efforts. They generally yield very useful information, with the caveat that results are biased toward those who are computer-literate and internet accessed, or, your more affluent citizens. We also have all of our applications available for download, though we have not yet gotten to the point where you can file an app online, which probably isn't a bad thing.

stezanos

Montevideo has the new "Plan de Ordenamiento Territorial (POT)" -that would be the planning "masterplan"- published online, with both AutoCAD and GIS files of the whole metro area (1.5million people) and photos from above.

Specific URL: http://www.montevideo.gub.uy/sit/WebExtra/e_pot.htm

General GIS at: http://www.montevideo.gub.uy/sit

Homepage of the city: www.montevideo.gub.uy

It's in Spanish, but I guess Worldlingo (http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html) can help.

The POT was approved after discussions at the local council levels, for which this documents were fundamental info.

Regards,
Santiago.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Arlington is the city that I grew up in. My parents still live there. I'll have to tell them about the discussion board so they can participate.