• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Early Friday 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Because it is Friday, and I don’t feel like thinking past 3:45, I am posting the question early. Today’s 4pm question come from me trying to contain somewhat of a rant. I have been hearing over and over again about trends that our society is going. I have heard both the economy is getting better and it is getting worse, I have heard that attendance at religious services is increasing, along with divorce, I have even heard that there is a trend that our feet are getting bigger and our brains getting smaller.

My question for this RAINY Friday, is:

What are some of the more outrageous trends have you heard, and do any of these really mean anything knowing that we can do things that can alter trends.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
From my youth to the present:
Bell bottoms, tie dye, "Make Love, Not War", Mary Jane
Effete clothes for men (think John Travolta in Saturday Night), Dope
Me Generation, Reefer
Body Piercings, 420

I don't believe individuals can alter fads once the media/corporations figure them out/exploit them. It is for the "hip" to be infront of the media.

It's interesting that some things are always "in".

boiker

Cyburbian
I'll give you a music industry trend: increasingly predictable, formulated and terrible pop music.

Solution: Stop buying pop music.

Trending towards a highly suburban and independently mobile society.

Solution: Reduce the amount of cheap fuel. Encourage limited land consumption with new city/urban area development.

The american trend of a lower individual purchasing power.

Solution: Leveling the worldwide economic playing field in terms of wages, currency value, and trade tarriffs. <--probably not that simple or even a correct solution

Trend towards a more insecure and suggestable society.

Solution: Society realizes that must be self accountable and can rationalize.

Granted, I have not been told these trends. There are merely my observations.

Trends I've been told or read of: Widening gap between the rich and poor, yet the overall QOL of American's continues to rise.

Bangorian

Repo Man said:
Boikers comment about music got me thinking. I believe biggest false trend is that the internet is killing the music industry. I think that illegal downloading has caused a little bit of a decline, but a crappy economy,the fact that there have been fewer releases in recent years, and the massive amounts of terrible crap masquerading as music that is being shoved down our throats are more to blame.

Here here to my man with the beer! ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Another alarming trend that kind of goes along with the bad pop music, and that has been attributed to everything from that music to the omnipresent evil chemicals, are kids growing up too fast. It's insane. The stuff they sell at those "tween" (ugh, hate that word, it's such a marketing term) stores, I wouldn't even wear to clubs, and it's being marketed to nine-year olds. When I was a kid [rant on], I ran around in overalls and Keds. Now you see kids preening themselves at the malls trying to look like people twice their age. It's sad. [/rant off]. :-\

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I would say one of the most disturbing trends is reliance on credit. Americans carry more debt than at any time in history. If we had a 1930's style Depression again, its impact on individuals would make the last Great Depression look like a carousel ride.

I resolve to rely less on credit and save more!

ludes98

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
I would say one of the most disturbing trends is reliance on credit.

Ditto. It is scary the number of credit cards and outstanding debt that Americans carry these days.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I have to agree with the reliance on credit. I am very very conscious about my credit. I was able to get my own car loan at the age of 20. I only allow myself to have one credit card and that gets paid off every month. If the money isn't in my account to spend, then it's not on my credit card to spend. Working in the closing department of a bank, I see peoples debt and credit scores all day long. It is so sad how people charge until there is nothing left.

I also agree with kids growing up too fast. I used to work with a girl who only dressed her daughter in designer clothes and actually did her hair (with mouse and hairspray) every day. She was only 4 years old!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Widening gap between the rich and poor, yet the overall QOL of American's continues to rise.
sure am Surpised to know that america too suffers from the diseases most commonly seen in the developing countries.

I would say one of the most disturbing trends is reliance on credit
This some thing which is catching on India like wild fire. Credit cards and related loans. Everythng on instalments.

In India, the 'Single Women' trend is on( again no offence here). These are women entering their thirties and doing pretty allright professionally and not being married. ( With due respects to such single women)

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Challengers - population grouping defining people mid 30's to early 50's, cashed up, educated and politically unaligned.

The trend of marketing researchers to coin another word to describe some obscure event or process to a client who has just watched their product standing fall to lower depths ie reality tv shows. :-#

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
I have been hearing over and over again about trends that our society is going.
....I'll tell you what's going on - it's these d*mn kids nowadays. Got everything handed to them on a silver platter. Back when I was their age we used to have to walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways and against the wind.....

http://phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Here's an article about an interesting/disturbing trend that touches on society and land use.

If that sentiment becomes more mainstream, there are going to be millions of empty suburban, nuclear family-style houses out there.

2 people living in a 4000sqft suburb-o house, I don't think so.

Heck, I plan on having about two kids, so with 2 kids and my wife and myself, 2000 sqft w/ full basement would be more than enough.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Here's an article about an interesting/disturbing trend that touches on society and land use.

That was an interseting article...heck it even quoted Maddox! As someone who is leaning towards not having kids, I agree with a lot of the points raised by that group. Childless people do get screwed. People do look at those who chose not to have children differently. As for the childproof developments, as long as they are not outright banning children, why would anyone have a problem with them? If you want kids, DON'T LIVE IN A CHILDPROOF DEVELOPMENT!

Great answer

DecaturHawk said:
I would say one of the most disturbing trends is reliance on credit. Americans carry more debt than at any time in history. If we had a 1930's style Depression again, its impact on individuals would make the last Great Depression look like a carousel ride.

I resolve to rely less on credit and save more!

Great answer. My wife can attest to this.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I agree with the credit thing. It just baffles me that people around my age (mid twenties+) rely so much on credit. Ii've got friends that go blow so much money on the weekends on their cards and they look at me like I'm crazy for not doing the same. Mr. Hab and I shoudl have all of our debt (minus the house) paid off after we've been married a year and that includes our wedding. I'm psyched. If we didn't have as much debt we'd have over 1k more per month and really, with an extra 1k around for play money you don't really need credit. And that's still considering how much we put into savings.

I nearly fainted when I added up how much the house is compared to what I make a year.. within 15 minutes I went from normal amount of debt after school to a debt to income ratio that made my eyes blur.

Wulf9

The trend toward childless couples has been mentioned. As a result of low birth rates, there are several nations that are going to start losing population. In essence, the first world may be depopulating itself, setting the stage for a third world takeover by default.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
The trend of people drinking less beer or other alcaholic beverages. its enough to put the local publican out of business! A TRUE TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE I SAY! :-{

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
ludes98 said:
It is scary the number of credit cards and outstanding debt that Americans carry these days.

The best part of my divorce is that it forced me to close all those joint accounts. I only had one single account. I got rid of that now too, and rely entirely on a debit card that has a $3k daily limit. Now that my car and student loans are paid off, its like being a free man for the second time in 3 years...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow this thread is back?

I have once credit card, and I just bought a sofa and love seat on it. (I am going to pay it off over the next to months.

I use my check card most the time, and don't carry all that much cash.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Not sure if this falls into "trend" or just the way it is.....

Growing up in the 1950's here is the way it was:

Almost every family stayed together, through thick or thin. Didn't matter if love was long gone, "Stay together for the kids" was the mantra. That started to change in the 1970's. Nowadays, a new marriage has a 50-50 chance of lasting.

Almost every family had a dad.....and he worked. Mom stayed home and was the real every day teacher to the kids of values and the like. When dad came home from work the family ate supper together.

Now, our lifestyle "requirements" force us to families with both parents working full-time. Single moms struggle to support families, as much a "victim" of society as a result of not giving education any effort.
_____

Pop music? There has always been bad pop music. Ya gotta look for the good stuff.

Bear Walking On TrendMaster Machine