• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Earthlink users: safelist cyburbia.org or be banned. You choose.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Earthlink users and others: safelist cyburbia.org or be banned. You choose.

(Alternate title: Where Dan goes Lowtax on Earthlink users)

Warning to Earthlink users and others using challenge-response spamblocking: If I get one of these in my mail box as a result of your inaction, your account will be banned until you add cyburbia.org to your safe list, and notify an administrator.

[tt]To: (Cyburbia Forums address)
Subject: Re: (any message automatically generated by vBulletin)

This is an automatic reply to your email message to (user)@earthlink.net

This email address is protected by EarthLink spamBlocker. Your email message has been redirected to a "suspect email" folder for (whoops)@earthlink.net. In order for your message to be moved to this recipient's Inbox, he or she must add your email address to a list of allowed senders.

Click the link below to request that (user)@earthlink.net add you to this list.

https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/whatever[/tt]
There are several clearly marked warnings on the registration form page, letting Earthlink users and others with challenge-response spamblocking know that they have to add the cyburbia.org domain to their safe list BEFORE they register. There is even a checkbox that needs to be checked, indicating that the activation e-mail may end up in a "suspected spam" box, and that those using challenge-response spamblocking need to add cyburbia.org domain to your safe list.

If you attempt to register from an e-mail address using challenge-response spam filtering, without adding cyburbia.org to your safe list beforehand, and account validation e-mail is challenged or blocked, your account will be deleted. We will NOT "click on the link below" to ask for e-mail to go through.

If you're a registered user, and a message bounces back to me from a subscribed thread, private message notification, birthday greeting, or something else that vBulletin automatically generates, your posting privileges will be suspended until you add cyburbia.org to your safe list, and notify an administrator..

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Normally, we keep user disciplinary action private. However, because the problem we're having is serious enough, I'm making an exception.

Craig is banned for two days. The second bounce will result in a one week ban.

kmssavage is banned for two days. The second bounce will result in a one week ban.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
GeogPlanner said:
Fear His wrath.
:8: You are the girl that keeps me up at night;
that makes make feel alright;
you are the girl of my dreams
:8:
I gotta get rid of this CD.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
ebeech121 banned permanently per her request..

[tt]Hi,

I understand that you are frustrated. But this is the first email I have received from Cyurbia (and I have been checking my webmail, so I would have seen the attempts). I have not been to Cyurbia in months, so why are you trying to reach me now, when you have never tried to before? Banning me because I have a spam blocker is ridiculous. Take your frustration out on something else.

And as for banning me, go ahead. I did not enjoy your forum or the people there. I will find another forum where the people are not rude or snobs.

Goodbye. [/tt]
1) But this is the first email I have received from Cyurbia (and I have been checking my webmail, so I would have seen the attempts).. The forum software automatically generates e-mail in response to thread subscription or private message noticication; features that the user controls. We normally don't contact users, unless there's a problem. We're being proactive because this is an increasing problem with Earthlink users.

2) I have not been to Cyurbia in months, so why are you trying to reach me now, when you have never tried to before? I personally don't have the time or inclination to be pen-pals with the 3,000 people or so who have signed up for the Forums through the years. As said before, we don't spam, and we normally don't contact users unless there's a problem.

3) Banning me because I have a spam blocker is ridiculous. Take your frustration out on something else. Consider this ...
a) Earthlink user turns on spam blocker, forgets to leave out cyburbia.org
b) Earthlink user turns on e-mail notification to a thread.
c) Earthlink user's thread has 20 followup responses, each of which generates an e-mail notification that the user signed up for.
d) Those 20 e-mail notifications end up bouncing back in my e-mail box, because ... you guessed it, the Earthlink user forgot to include cyburbia.org in their safe list.
Ever get call after call after call after call from a fax machine, and you can't tell it to stop calling? Dealing with bouncing e-mail from an address you can't contact is much like that.

4) And as for banning me, go ahead. I wasn't going to ban her, but since she asked ... done.

5) I did not enjoy your forum or the people there. I will find another forum where the people are not rude or snobs. Don't quite know how to respond to that one.

GeogPlanner said:
Fear His wrath.
See (3 d) above. No need to phear my wrathorz ... that is, unless my e-mail box fills up with bounces, and it's your fault. Grrrr ....

I hereby declare this to be The Night of a Thousand Banhammers.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BigCity banned permanently per his request..

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm on Earthlink, had no clue until the generic email arrived tonite. I THINK I have cyburbia on the safe list, but I'm computer-stupid, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Normally, we keep user disciplinary action private. However, because the problem we're having is serious enough, I'm making an exception.

Craig is banned for two days. The second bounce will result in a one week ban.

kmssavage is banned for two days. The second bounce will result in a one week ban.
Huh. I never saw anything about this.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Memories ... from when I was much less patient.

This was from back in the day when all bounced email would end up in my mailbox. People would subscribe to threads or subforums, change their email addresses or use challenge/response spam blocking, and my mailbox would fill up with annoying bounces and "click here to confirm" messages. I wasn't the only one who hated them.

With improving spam filtering through the years, challenge/response spam blocking is a thing of the past. If someone's email bounces, the bounce message now goes to a special mailbox, and XenForo automatically disables the account until they update their email.