• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

East Coast Cyburbia Get-Together (with Poll)

Where whould you be interested/able to attend an east coast get-together?

• CIP Conference, Halifax, NS, July

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • NNECAPA Conference, Concord, NH, September

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portsmouth, NH - Date to be determined, no conference

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Portland, ME - Date to be determined, no conference

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No preference, just tell me where and when!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other ideas, shared below

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
This meeting of Tran and jmf reminds me that there needs to be a Northern New England/Eastern Canada get together sometime in the future.....can't let all the fun happen in Denver!

donk

Cyburbian
Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together. Or the CIP conference in Halifax in June JMF and I will be working on something for there....

I am pretty sure you can still get brador in quebec.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:
Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together.
If you all are serious about this, get me some general timeframes, and Mary Poppins and I can probably help set something up in either NH or ME. :)

donk

Cyburbian
I am good anytime in april or may, except easter weekend (friend's wedding). Once the summer starts I am pretty much committed every weekend.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Well, my wife has exams likely until the end of April. And we are hoping to go to the UK in May...don't know the dates yet. It's possible that late May or June would work for us.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together. Or the CIP conference in Halifax in June JMF and I will be working on something for there....
Are you guys presenting? I'm still trying to squeeze the budget for the CIP conference... no word whether I'll be successful yet. My bf's family lives in Truro/Stellarton... so we would really like to get back there to visit too.

jmf

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
If you all are serious about this, get me some general timeframes, and Mary Poppins and I can probably help set something up in either NH or ME. :)
I would love to meet you guys but my world is getting complicated/booked up pretty quickly and I only get 2 weeks vacation :( If the weekend works we will try to head down, but unfortunately, its not likely.

CIP is looking good though.

Nerudite - Truro is only about 45mins/1 hour from Halifax, Stellarton is a little further. CIP starts on Monday so you could fly in Friday or Saturday before, that way you get to stay over a Saturday night which usually makes the airfare a lot cheaper.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
CIP is in July, right? That might work for us...even though I wouldn't be attending the conference per se.

donk

Cyburbian
Not presenting, CIP is my "perk" / education funding for the year, but only if I can drive to it.

CIP is July 6 - 9, 2003 in Halifax for anyone else that is interested. There are "reasonable priced flights" from Boston and Montreal.

Maybe teh east coast thing could be at a NE APA function. (Always trying to get work to pay)

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:

Nerudite - Truro is only about 45mins/1 hour from Halifax, Stellarton is a little further. CIP starts on Monday so you could fly in Friday or Saturday before, that way you get to stay over a Saturday night which usually makes the airfare a lot cheaper.
Yeah, we would probably come in on a Saturday and then stay an extra week. Bradd (my b.f.) hasn't been out to N.S. in about seven years so he really wants to go. And I haven't been there. I want to see PEI as well.

So far the airfares are about $750 for July from Edmonton. Insane huh?

You guys need to start saving for CIP in Calgary 2005. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
donk said:
Maybe teh east coast thing could be at a NE APA function. (Always trying to get work to pay)
The 3 southern NE states aren't meeting until October in Hartford. I'm not sure when the northern NE states meet.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:

The 3 southern NE states aren't meeting until October in Hartford. I'm not sure when the northern NE states meet.
NNECAPA's conference is in Concord, NH (my hometown) in late September.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Thread Split

I split the thread...thought this East Cost get-together deserved it's own thread.

If people are interested in combining it with a conference, the NNECAPA conference is going to be held in Concord, NH on September 25 & 26. The theme is Linking Resources: Natural, Social & Built.

More details as they become available.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We may have to start a poll, or maybe just note our preference here.

I'm not sure which one works best for me, or if I will be able to attend either of them (NNECAPA or CIP). NNECAPA would be closer, but of even less relevance to me than CIP would be...

We may have to have two get-togethers ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok thats it any folks in the DC area wanna get together and do a Cyburbia dinner or coffee one night? Maybe down at Kramers books?

NHPlanner

Staff member
At Tranplanner's suggestion....we now have a poll...

donk

Cyburbian
I prefer CIP, but, I would travel to the others.

I might even be willing to trek way down to DC or Philly as I have family only a few hour drive away.

I'll probably be in NYC in June for a concert, date to be determined.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can't decide dammit! And I still have to get the most important feedback of all...that being "what does my wife think?" ;)

I'll just go with the flow on this one...I figure for sure there will be a get-together of donk, jmf, and nerudite at CIP. Don't know who will be at NNECAPA (besides NH and MP).

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I figure for sure there will be a get-together of donk, jmf, and nerudite at CIP.
Don't forget Paul... we will all be coming to you next year when CIP is in Toronto. :)

I'm *hoping* to go to the CIP... but you know city budgets and all. We'll see after Denver and Vancouver, BC how much money I have left to spend this year. It's looking good (especially now that the Canadian dollar has perked up a little)... but I won't know for sure until late April/early May.

SGB

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Don't know who will be at NNECAPA (besides NH and MP).
As a former attendee at NNECAPA events, I highly recommend them. Those Northern New Englanders are a fun bunch!

And I say that as a born & bred Connecticut Yankee. :)

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite,

You sure do get to travel alot. I only get to go to things that are an easy drive, and I sometimes cover my own meals and partial milage.

I doubt I will go to toronto, but you never know, i can save on hotel bills by staying with friends, but I will be trying for DC as a servie bonus.

As for albany, that is a bit too far, probably 10 hours for me, if we are getting into miles like that , montreal may be better.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:
if we are getting into miles like that , montreal may be better.
Montreal would be OK with me...and I assume my wife too....I've never been and would love an excuse to head up there....it would be about a 5 hour drive for us....nothing out of the ordinary considering the 20 hour drive we made to Indiana last September...

SGB said:
Is Albany, NY out of the question?

[Work w/ me here, KMateja!]
Yay! Albany! or actually - Yay! Saratoga Springs! But I would also totally do Portland or NH. and actually may talk rob into CIP - for some reason, he's been dying to go to Nova Scotia this summer!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:

Yay! Albany! or actually - Yay! Saratoga Springs! But I would also totally do Portland or NH. and actually may talk rob into CIP - for some reason, he's been dying to go to Nova Scotia this summer!
He's probably heard about the beer out there! I'd love to go back out to NS this summer...lack of vacation time might be a bit of a problem for me though. A weekend jaunt to Albany/Montreal/Boston would be more "doable"

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Ok thats it any folks in the DC area wanna get together and do a Cyburbia dinner or coffee one night? Maybe down at Kramers books?
Hey PG,
I would love to meet with you and the other kindred spirits there in DC. I am dying to meet some new planners since I am fairly new to the area. Just tell me when and where and I'll be there.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Drop me a PM Trail and we can try to set something up. Im in Arlington-Ballston but can get most places (without getting TOO lost)

Any others in the DC area? George? Others?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Couldn't go anywhere out of the realm of "day trip" (can't leave the kids with Grandma too long). Portsmouth or Portland might work.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Depending on what you guys decide, I may join you. I am planning to start a Masters program in September and it would be nice to meet some other planners beforehand. I live in Boston and grew up in Portland. Any of those places, including Portsmouth, would work for me.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Question...

How far is it from N.S. to Portland? I have never been to Maine but I've always wanted to... maybe I can drive down after the CIP conference (if I get to go).

donk

Cyburbian
It is probably be about 12 hours by car. or there is a ferry route from dartmouth that would not save much time, but would be fun to take.

jmf

Cyburbian
donk said:
It is probably be about 12 hours by car. or there is a ferry route from dartmouth that would not save much time, but would be fun to take.
Unless something drastic happened while I was in Toronto....the ferry goes from Yarmouth, NS (about 3 1/2 hrs from Halifax) to Bar Harbour, ME or Portland, ME.

The one to Bar Harbour is the high speed catamaran, only 2:45 instead of 6 hours.

Here are links for more info:
http://www.scotiaprince.com/
http://www.nfl-bay.com/

NHPlanner

Staff member
Erica and I took the CAT ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth for our Honeymoon....I loved it, she hated it (it was choppy). I've heard nothing but good thoings about the Scotia Prince.

The drive from Bar Harbor to Portland would be about 4-5 hours.

donk

Cyburbian
oops

my brain has not been working very well the last day or so.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hmmmmm... this is so cool! When I was thinking about going back east for the conference, I never really thought about going to Maine. Sweet!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mapquest sez Portland, ME would be an 11 hour drive from Toronto. I think I can shave at least a couple hours off of that...I'll say 8-9 hours total drive for me. I think I'd want to take a 3-4 day weekend to do that trip.

At this point, Portland sounds more reasonable than Halifax. I think if my wife and I do Nova Scotia again, we want to go for more than just a couple of days.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Sidebar

Tranplanner said:
[BI think if my wife and I do Nova Scotia again, we want to go for more than just a couple of days. [/B]
All this discussion of Nova Scotia... It sounds like a lot of you have been there.

We're planning to go there on vacation in a couple of months. I'd love to hear more about places to visit, good restaurants and brewpubs, trails, etc. We'll probably focus on Halifax and points north and/or west...

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Portland's got a really great public market that you all could see if you went there. It's filled with local and organic fruits and vegetables, crafts, food, wine, etc. They really need the business to avoid shutting down. I think, in all, Portland's downtown has improved markedly since the 80's when I grew up there. Now, I always look forward to going into the little city when I'm home to see if its surviving and to buy and few things and support it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Sidebar

Mud Princess said:

All this discussion of Nova Scotia... It sounds like a lot of you have been there.

We're planning to go there on vacation in a couple of months. I'd love to hear more about places to visit, good restaurants and brewpubs, trails, etc. We'll probably focus on Halifax and points north and/or west...
Both NHPlanner and myself spent our honeymoons in Nova Scotia last year. jmf lives there, so she's probably the best person to offer advice on attractions, etc. Halifax is a great city for tourists, lots of good restaurants, etc. We also liked Lunenburg a lot (UNESCO heritage site). Peggy's cove was nice, but we prefered the quieter locales. The drive along the coast was fantastic. A bike ride would probably be even better - I think there was a fairly comprehensive trail system.

Cape Breton, which we didn't get to, is meant to be even better.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Both NHPlanner and myself spent our honeymoons in Nova Scotia last year. jmf lives there, so she's probably the best person to offer advice on attractions, etc.
Cape Breton, which we didn't get to, is meant to be even better.
OOH - tell me more. Actually, we are going to be at Cape Breton for part of the time. The question is, where to spend the rest of the time? Truro? Digby? Wolfville? Sydney? Someplace else?

And the tourist literature is just overwhelming. It's not like we're German and get four weeks off.

donk

Cyburbian
From my visits to NS I would skip truro, and not spend too much time in sydney, what I have seen of Cape Breton island was nice, but it was only on the way to a conference in Sydney with no stops.

I think I would stay in or around halifax and day trip to places nearby.

If you are driving up, you'll want to spend a day in Saint John, NB too.

jmf

Cyburbian
In a former life I worked for the NS Dept of Tourism, taking people on tours of NS. I know most of the province pretty well and have done a lot of travelling in province myself.

Tell me where you are coming from and how are you are planning to get here (fly and rent; drive, public transit), your main interests (history, outdoors, culture....), and how many days you have to spend here and I can try to pull together a possible itinerary for you. PM me if you would rather.

Also, make sure you order a Doer's and Dreamers Guide and a map from the province. They are free and give info on the whole province including accomodations. They are so good that a lot of Nova Scotians carry them around too.

The provincial tourism website is: http://www.novascotia.com/
and you order the guide from: http://www.checkinnovascotia.com/Public/main/brochureRequest.asp

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's official... I get to go to Halifax!

That will be three conferences this year out-of-province. I love this town... finally a place that actually provides you training!

NHPlanner

Staff member
My wife has become interested (again) in getting back in touch with her Cyburbia side....and is reviving the possibility of an East Coast Cyburbia Bash.....Portland seemed to be the place, when would be a good date?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Hmm . . . Ideally, August 9th - 17th. But other people should decide because its just a 2.5 hour trip for me.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
My wife has become interested (again) in getting back in touch with her Cyburbia side....and is reviving the possibility of an East Coast Cyburbia Bash.....Portland seemed to be the place, when would be a good date?
We'll have to see...we're going to be quite busy (and poor) starting in September (see Chateau Tranplanner in the FAC).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I can not make it up that far north... Why not some place in the middle of the East Cost... like Philly, DC, or Baltimore??

Status
Not open for further replies.