• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Eat more ... it's okay, the government will accomodate you

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Shocking news from Cleveland, in today's Plain Dealer ...

But Bowen is a prisoner - a prisoner in the living room of her public-hous ing apartment on Cleveland's East Side be cause the 44-year-old weighs nearly 800 pounds and is immobile.

Under federal law, her condition is a disability, meaning that she can require modifications to her subsidized housing.

[snip]

Housing officials responded that the agency went well beyond what federal disability law requires at a cost of about $15,000.

[snip]

Drooping fatty tissue from her stomach area extends from her body and prevents her from walking, she and Turner say. She cannot move from a medical bed that sits in the middle of what should be her living room. Turner estimates the growth around her stomach weighs as much as 350 pounds.

[snip]

The apartment's modifications include taking out doors and walls, installing an automatic door operator and a panic device, demolishing the existing bathroom and installing a special shower, and putting in a sidewalk leading to a front doorway, something the other Riverside Park units do not have.

[snip]

Things reached a crisis level on Aug. 31, when 22 firefighters and emergency medical technicians had to work for 2½ hours to move Bowen from her apartment so she could see doctors at MetroHealth Medical Center for some dental problems. Emergency crews had to help her back in when she returned.

OMG. Maybe this should be another topic for another thread, but I think it is insane that the morbidly obese are allowed "disabled" status. Granted, if this woman's problems are because of a true medical condition (even though I can't imagine what that would be), fine, that's another issue. But really, what are the odds of that? It just kills me that she's living off the taxpayers. sigh.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I wonder if McD's is willing to pay her for a liposuction, afterall they could use all that lard again in their kitchens! :p (Sorry people that just ate lunch)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
OMG. Maybe this should be another topic for another thread, but I think it is insane that the morbidly obese are allowed "disabled" status. Granted, if this woman's problems are because of a true medical condition (even though I can't imagine what that would be), fine, that's another issue. But really, what are the odds of that? It just kills me that she's living off the taxpayers. sigh.

I can just picture all the Homer Simpsons out there claiming this as their new life strategy now. I have relatives who would love that lifestyle.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
OMG. .....Granted, if this woman's problems are because of a true medical condition (even though I can't imagine what that would be), fine, that's another issue. But really, what are the odds of that? It just kills me that she's living off the taxpayers. sigh.

A thyroid conditions can cause this.

Got to be some kind of medical problem. There is NO WAY she is getting that huge on foodstamps and welfare only! :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'll never forget why I won Firefighter of teh Quarter one year.....

We were standing around in the living room of a project, with a 600+ dude laying face down on the floor because he fell out of his special bed.

We tried everything to get him back up, nothing worked.

We used "airbags" to get him back up (my idea). The airbags are what we use to pick up cars when they land on people.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
This is the part I don't get--she mentions a growth that weighs over 350 lbs--which would account for almost 1/2 her weight. Wouldn't you want to get something like that looked out, seeing as how it would limit your mobility and therefor your chances to lead a fuller life--like leaving your apartment?

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I would really guess that people of THIS size and girth do have something wrong-physical or even medical. It is not possible to eat yourself to 800 pounds normally. Is it?

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm reading this article and all I can think is "Wouldn't the Housing Authority have come out cheaper just paying for liposuction."

Also, there's something about the way the paper portays the nurse (Turner) that makes it sound as if she's using moo-moo wearing 800 pounder's condition to somehow play the system for her own personal gain.

nerudite

Cyburbian
There is a lady in Beaverton, OR that was about 600 lbs and it wasn't fat it was a condition that caused fluid to collect in her body. She would get it drained just to have it build back up in a few years. But because of the fluid, she couldn't walk, let alone exercise. And she said that she got a lot of flak for being 'fat' when there wasn't much she can do about it. I don't remember what the condition was, but it sounded horrible and very painful.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
A thyroid conditions can cause this.

Got to be some kind of medical problem. There is NO WAY she is getting that huge on foodstamps and welfare only! :)
You'd be amazed. I have a relative that is quite large and there were no medical conditions that caused it. Now this relative is starting to eat better and lost around 80 pounds, no exercise, just finally taking the step to eat better.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Hmmm...

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put a garage door on the front of the house, put wheels on the bed, and just have a tow truck come get her when she needs to get her dental work done?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

That's her.

If it was medical, how come the only people we hear about who are this morbidly obese live in the United States?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
yikes! I doubt that she could have gained that much weight only by eating or only because of hormonal or linfatic problems...
Now seing her weight in metric units... Holy f***! She weights 350 kg!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
What is her weight in Britsh "Stones"?
Stones?
I think this is a measurement that will have to be done in "Boulders."

I'm sorry... bad pun. I just couldn't help myself. Bad biscuit.

Last edited:

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I just don't know what the housing authority is supposed to do. I certainly understand moving her to a first floor accessible unit with a ramp, but making drastic renovations seems a bit much.

However, at the rate obesity is growing it won't be long before many other of these units are needed.