• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Economic impact of road construction on downtowns

Lili

Hello,

I work in a State DOT Economic Planning Section and am looking for any existing studies on the economic impact of road construction on state and US highways running through preferably Wisconsin downtown business districts (NOT bypasses). If you have suggestions on specific articles and/or literature, I would very much appreciate it if you'd drop me an email.

Thank you.

Last edited:

vaughan

Cyburbian
Liat-

I don't have specific literature to offer you, but since nobody has replied to this yet I might as well toss out what I do know...

If you are interested, you can look at two different communities that I am familiar with: Powell, Wyoming and Driggs, Idaho. Both represent opposite sides of the spectrum- Powell made an agreement with the DOT/contractor working on their main street/downtown area to ensure that construction only lasted a minimum amount of time... it worked and they didn't lose a business.

Driggs, on the other hand, has had their main street/downtown area torn up and shut down for I don't know how long and the whole area is trying desperately not to simply lie down and die.

Send me a private message if you're interested and I could get you more details and contact folks for both towns.

Lili

Thank you

Hi Cardinal,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm looking for info on highways going through downtowns, not bypasses. I will take a look at the EDR report regardless.

Liat