• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Economic planning components

Grassroots

Cyburbian
Greetings! I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine. I am working on a regional planning project focusing on economic development for three satellite communites outside of a 1.5 million population urban center. My director is working under a EU grant to convert, in part, old Soviet military facilities in these cities to workable economic development opportunties. However, my background is more in physical planning. Can anyone give me the basic components to include in an economic development plan? Remember, this is REALLY a grassroots effort (hence my name) so think more of starting from a VERY basic beginning. I know to include aspects such as population, current workforce skills base, etc. Just need more direction. Crazy how we take such basic things such as open availability of census data for granted in the US!?! Thanks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It sounds like a fun project. The Economic Development Administration in the Department of Commerce has some planning guides available on their web site. Look for "Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy." I have also found the Western Rural Development Center to be helpful. Try these and if there are specific questions you have I can probably point you to a few more resources.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
These are the items we put in our RFP for an Economic Development Strategic Plan:

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Your context is different there, but I remind you that your physical planning skills are still highly relevant. There is no ED without a sound public infrastructure. There is no lasting ED without attention to environmental quality.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I am working on an RFP for an economic development plan for my community and was looking for some guidance in here - Lee, Cardinal, Chet - any thoughts?

anyone have a stellar economic development plan they would like to share?

TOFB

Cyburbian
I am working on an RFP for an economic development plan for my community and was looking for some guidance in here - Lee, Cardinal, Chet - any thoughts?

anyone have a stellar economic development plan they would like to share?
We need one bad.

Cardinal would be a good source . . .

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
{{{ahem}}} :r:

I have quite a few RFPs for economic development plans, if that would be helpful. Let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

Can you put us on your distribution list?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have a couple examples I will e-mail to you. I believe the foundation for a good economic development plan is market analysis and technical feasibility. For example, there is a spec building in one community I know that has been vacant since it was constructed in 1998. No market analysis. As for technical feasibility, I can identify dozens of business parks marketing themselves for ethanol/biodiesel/food processing and are served by four-inch water and eight-inch sanitary. Not technically feasible.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Greetings! I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine. I am working on a regional planning project focusing on economic development for three satellite communities outside of a 1.5 million population urban center. My director is working under a EU grant to convert, in part, old Soviet military facilities in these cities to workable economic development opportunities. However, my background is more in physical planning. Can anyone give me the basic components to include in an economic development plan? Remember, this is REALLY a grassroots effort (hence my name) so think more of starting from a VERY basic beginning. I know to include aspects such as population, current workforce skills base, etc. Just need more direction. Crazy how we take such basic things such as open availability of census data for granted in the US!?! Thanks.
What type of economic development is your area trying to achieve? Are you hoping to redevelop the base as an industrial center, airport, office park, retail area or a dense mixed use type of development? Are there educational resources like colleges and universities in the area to partner with for workforce development?

In the US there are hundreds of examples of military reuse from the 70's through today. What type of base was it?

Other items to consider that have not been mentioned that you want to include is an inventory of existing businesses in the area, SWOT analysis or the region, what is the competitive advantage of your region, entrepreneurial potential of the area, funding sources to implement the plan.

When you develop your plan make try to include small achievable steps to help build momentum. Many plans wind up being so grandiose that a grassroots organization cannot implement or they are not feasible (see Cardinal's post) so they just sit on the shelf and collect dust.

EMSI

RE: Economic Planning

A good place to start is always the data. I am not sure what is available for that region (publicly or privately). Once you have some basic info you can do a little input/output modeling to get a better sense of (1) the primary economic drivers, (2) occupations, (3) skills, and (4) what other industries might support and compliment those that are already existing.

I also have some leads on this sort of thing if you are interested.

Best