• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

el Guapo gets a bike

Jeff

Cyburbian
My best advice then is, get a used one with an Ultegra drive train if you can find one, then upgrade bits and pieces a little bit at a time. You may want to check eBay, thats probably your best bet, but you are gambling with the fit.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Bianchi, real nice rides and Cannondales as well. With the Cannondale, I'd buy just the frame and build it up with a Shimano drive train. I'm not too keen on the Hollowtech stuff they put on they're complete bikes.

I'm not sure if Bianchi even has lower end models? But I do know that Cannondale is quality, from their "Fred" bikes to the new Optimo.

Buy Cannondale.....my stock is worthless right now.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
He has a point.

But, you have to understand why bicyclists become "arrogant" and politicized. Many "Pastores" don't even need the annoyance of a club pellaton in front of them to work out their inherent anger at the world. They plow down single riders following all of the rules of the road. When you are part of a crowd, you not only get the crowd adrenaline, but you feel a sense of "getting back" at drivers as a class-for every beer bottle thrown and stupid kid in a pickup truck. Is arrogance right (or smart), of course not.

Would this columnist write a similar article suggesting that elderly and immigrant drivers "recognize" that they "need to stay off the road." I've run into far more geezers driving 45 mph in the far left passing lane of the freeway than I have cycling clubs slowing me down on a quiet, winding road. Should I floor it and bump them? I can see his pious little article now

"Granny just needs to realize that only the big boys drive on freeways and she just needs to stay home."

Jeff

Cyburbian
Riding in a pack you are riding as one, and have every right to the road, at least thats what the PA Vehicle code says.

Just lke the old lady who drives 15 mph in her caddy, I don't have to move over for you, and if you cross a double yellow line in your car you are violating the law. Show me and the rest of us some courtesy and we will move over for you. Blare your horn and its going to be a long ride.

Most of the time, on the roads we ride on around here, we are doing or are above the speed limit.

I consider myself very arrogant though.

OT:

It is such a great feeling, and the ultimate insult to drivers, when I pass them on my bike.

BKM

Cyburbian
O/T Descent

Yeah, it was great for me, (I'm a pretty timid descender) to have to slow down behind a car in Claremont Canyon on Berkeley on Sunday :)

Of course, on the other hand, I was so frightened by the 18% grades on a narrow, curvy road that I practically blew out my breaks yesterday.

Also O/T My successful sister is treating me to a pair of NorthPointe (sp?) shoes this week.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: O/T Descent

BKM said:

Also O/T My successful sister is treating me to a pair of NorthPointe (sp?) shoes this week.

Never heard of them? Any good?

Check out Lust shoes. My next pair.

On the passing cars, you gotta do it on a flat stretch of road. much more insulting.

On the descents, you just gotta bomb them. Feather the bake break a little but not too much, get your inside knee up and lean deep into the turn. You haven't lived until you "Drive 55" on a bike!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is usually a courtesy for bicyclists to stay on the right to facilitate cars passing, and for cars to give at least 5-6 feet of clearance when passing. That said, if the cyclists are going the speed limit or above (which isn't that uncommon) then the car should not be passing anyway. If the cyclists are in a group they should not be taking up a whole lane so as to slow down traffic.

Runner

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
With the Cannondale, I'd buy just the frame and build it up with a Shimano drive train.

That's the route I took, bought the frame with carbon fork and then added an Ultegra group.

TREK is an excellent option too.

My bikes:
Road - Cannondale
MTB - Gary Fisher
BMX(flatland) - S&M

As for most bike cops: Typically manufacturers that offer a police package such as TREK or Raleigh.

donk

Cyburbian
By northpointe do you mean north wave? Great fitting shoe, just watch the soles on the mtb shoes they tend to not be flat across the pedal access and can cause knee pain (I had to get rid of mine). When you look at the cleat pocket you'll know what I mean by the way the tread is shaped.

Waterfords are made in the old schwin paramount plant and are really spendy bikes. Nice steel lugged frames. This company is still owned by a schwin (Richard I think).

As for ultegra or higher I say 105 or higher is all you "need", and then only for the shifters and derailleurs. I know of at least one pro and probably 2 that have ridden the tour of malaysia on 105 and had no problems. I am riding 7 year old 105 deraileurs and 7 year old RX100 shifters and they still work fine.

Mike D., is your company hiring? If you can afford lusts and the payments on a C40 I'm working in the wrong place.

BKM

Cyburbian
Yep, North Wave. Saw the shoes in the fancy bicycle shop near my sister's place. She is VERY generous :)

(I could afford them if it weren't for my OTHER expensive hobbies :( )

Jeff

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Yep, North Wave. Saw the shoes in the fancy bicycle shop near my sister's place. She is VERY generous :)

OK got it.

FYI...speak up on what you want in the beginning of the season, i.e. Feb/March. NorthWave is one of my sponsors I could've gotten shoes at cost. I don't use them personally.

....and the Lusts were a joke numnut. Its like 200.00 just to have your feet cast for the shoes, and the "Balance Due" is determined after they're done.

Wulf9

Re: O/T Descent

BKM said:
Yeah, it was great for me, (I'm a pretty timid descender) to have to slow down behind a car in Claremont Canyon on Berkeley on Sunday :)

My son in law has used the hillside as a "brake" on that descent a couple of times. I would expect that one such experience would be enough - but he has done it at least twice.

Wulf

el Guapo

Capitalist
Boy & bike.

I rode out to a local cemetery to do some research. I had the camera and the time seemed right for a photo.

donk

Cyburbian
Plannergirl is next to join the 2 wheeled cyburbanites.

fetish_ride.gif

Jeff

Cyburbian
Vagroover rocks! I need to move there and become Canadian.

BTW....looking at EGs picture again, I decided I'm going to have to give cycling fashion tips at some point. If you're gonna wear lycra, ya gotta do it right ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mike D. said:
BTW....looking at EGs picture again, I decided I'm going to have to give cycling fashion tips at some point. If you're gonna wear lycra, ya gotta do it right ;)

Just don't let him convince you to shave your legs EG...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike D. said:

Fashion NAZI! I'll wear what I please, thank you very much. ;)

H

Cyburbian
Im jealous, bike riding is more of a winter sport in south florida due to the heat and bugs. Believe it or not, there are fun roller coaster like trails here that roll through dried up creek beds and such. Oh now I really want winter to get here.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Im jealous, bike riding is more of a winter sport in south florida due to the heat and bugs. Believe it or not, there are fun roller coaster like trails here that roll through dried up creek beds and such. Oh now I really want winter to get here.

My team is going to Naples for a week in January to train.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yup, when there's 9 feet of snow on the ground in Philly, I'll be logging hundreds of miles in Naples, FL. Can't wait!

Jeff

Cyburbian
ummmm, why do you need the palm to work with the Polar HRM? The Polar does all that crap and more already, in a wristwatch.

el Guapo

Capitalist
It is all about the geekery of it. Why did I need to slave my Garmin 45XL To my laptop? Because by building a homemade cable and writing some code - I could.

Sheesh! Some people just don't get it.