Serious 😐 Elder care

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Hello All
I just returned to Alaska from a 3-week trip to Milwaukee, Wis. to put my 83-year-old mother in a group home. A very intense and troubling experience and I hope none of you have to go through it unless absolutely necessary.
The public funding such that group homes and skilled nursing facilities are highly favored over home care.
And just think of yourself 10-20-30-40 years from now facing the prospect of being put in a group home, etc.
(even a very nice one) for essentially the rest of your life. No wonder my mom fought it all the way, but there wasn't really a viable alternative.

and with the population aging, there will be much more demand on such facilities. Who knows what kind of places will be available in the future.

My only salvation in Milwaukee after some very stressful days was to go to my old high school hangout ---a frozen custard stand ---for some burgers and a big chocolate shake.
Truly.
have a good one.
Earl Finkler

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is a sad tale. It is something I must face too. I'm chipper enough so that I can avoid thinking of it, but this puts the burden on someone elses shoulder. Can I go into a caring facility? Not before the "caring" is needed I suppose. But is this before or after that time. My wife's
brother has tne question answered for him. In a couple short months his wife died, he's had three strokes, he's had to have someone dispose of their house in Santa Monica, he has one room in a well regarded facility that is private and there he remains - unless he's been taken from there to see the doctor - in a hospital. My wife is going over to visit to visit him this week end. What facility indeed.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Yes indeed Perry ---it is a sad tale. Do you think that we will really wind up on places like we are talking about?
I hope not, but maybe one looks at it differently when age takes its toll.
What a challenge for planners!!!!!!!!!!! to help design programs (and possibly facilities) and environments where the elderly can not only live safely, but with dignity, as much independence as possible and with creative inputs.
thanks
What do others think?
Earl

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
Elder Care

We usually treat problems of this sort as "public housing". HUD has ways of looking at real issues but they all end up in a sort of "custodial" manner. There are local situations which have fairly hopeful designs to them but they all depend on local leadership, and that's pretty difficult to predict. If anyone knows of a good local scheme they should let us know.

John Yoegel

Cyburbian
Elder Care

It seems to me there are two issues: 1) Housing design and 2)cost of needed and variable services and who pays.

For item two, there are two models in existence that if joined might work: Section 8 Housing and the program for services to children with disabilities. If we as a nation make a committment to fund services to the elderly on an as needed basis and require that they pay some percentage of their income for those services, the remainder being paid for publicly, we might have a working if expensive solution.

As you say Perry, housing design may be the easiest of the problems to solve. Paying for all this may be another story.

Another issue that we must not ignore is the question of choice and dignity in the process. The elderly should not be made to feel that they are seeking a handout or that choices are being made for them by the government. Your use of the word custodial is right on the money. Where are those societies that revere the elderly for their wisdom? Let's make sure we teach our young'uns about that.

Cheers,
John