• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Elizabeth Smart

I was just shocked last night when this showed up on the news last night, and so happy for the family - I was positive she was buried in a field somewhere. But doesn't this whole thing strike you as kind of sketchy? The police had to ask her several times her identity? It just makes me so sad what this poor girl must have gone through.

kms

Cyburbian
If you think about it, the Smart family really aren't getting back the Elizabeth they remember. There may be parts of her disappearance that she may never recover from. I'm sure the kidnappers threatened her safety, and maybe the safety of the rest of her family. She is really just a little girl and did the best she could. I haven't read or watched too much about this, waiting for the complete story. I'll be disappointed if it turns out she cooperated willingly with the kidnappers.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
well it could be a very good example of Stocholm (sp?)syndrome. But yes there is a whif of fishy to the whole thing

all very very odd

i hope the girl can get some help and one day lead a normal happy productive life

Tom R

Cyburbian
Smart

kms said:
If you think about it, the Smart family really aren't getting back the Elizabeth they remember. There may be parts of her disappearance that she may never recover from. I'm sure the kidnappers threatened her safety, and maybe the safety of the rest of her family. She is really just a little girl and did the best she could. I haven't read or watched too much about this, waiting for the complete story. I'll be disappointed if it turns out she cooperated willingly with the kidnappers.
Patty Hearst cooperated when she was kidnapped. There is a phychological term for it, but it amounts to somehow identifying with your captors. A girl that young, I can see how she could have been manipulated.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And is it just me, or does her father act a bit limp-wristed ?

The latest news is that Elizabeth said on the first few nights of her abduction, she could hear searchers calling for her. i hate to be this way, but i am sooooooo luridly curious as to what happened. but then, i'm sure i really really don't want to know. sigh.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I'm withholding judgement until they find out if she was actually kidnapped.
My thoughts exactly. The papers say the police asked her name 4-5 times and she never said a word.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
This is the lamest story of the year, if you ask me. Sure, I feel for the parents - that's certainly tragic. But the way it played out in the media last fall - whoah! You'd think the President was assassinated. Another white suburban girl gets kidnapped and she's all over the TV.

Jeff

Cyburbian
bturk said:
And is it just me, or does her father act a bit limp-wristed ?
Yeah the dad is a fag, sorry fags!

I just don't understand how a 15 year old girl could be kidnapped for 9 months, but not be locked in a dungeon or something. Like she never came across a phone? A cop? Another human being other than the captors?

Jen

Cyburbian
It is a very strange story, and the pictures that they have of her and her captors are most unusual and the fact they were found living just 20 or so miles from her house is also very odd. The abductors were employees in the household and that makes me wonder about what kind of relationship they wereable to build with the Smart children. Was she kidnapped to be a sex slave, for ransom or to practice religious zealotry with her captors? Was she physically abused or just mentally manipulated and brainwashed.

I have a feeling we'll never learn the whole story.

All in all, Thank God for the good outcome for that young lady and her family.

Jen

Cyburbian
All along I thought she went willingly, maybe she was trying to escape an oppressive household. But I thought she'd be found partying with friends in LA and not dressed in a shroud living in a park with a deranged couple in the vicinity of her neighborhood.

Is she a victim? definitely! of what? I'm not exactly sure?

Runner

Cyburbian
Re: Smart

Tom R said:
Patty Hearst cooperated when she was kidnapped.
Tom R beat me to this point. As soon as I read the story I thought it sounded just a re-run of the Patty Hearst kidnapping.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I think that if she had known the extent of the publicity and the search for her, she would have been able to tell someone who she was and know they would understand who she was. As it is, she probably thought nobody would recognize her name or believe her story. Children are taught to yell "You're not my mother/father" or "Leave me alone, stranger" if someone grabs them, but honestly, how many of us would believe them and take action?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!
Elizabeth Smart!

All morning news shows began with this 3 days after the fact, despite a looming war in Iraq. Every weird detail about the kidnappers is going to be sensational top story stuff until war begins. There are so many important things that happen in the world every day. If you want to know every detail about this case read the sensational book which is sure to be out soon.

Oh, and I hate the way morning news shows always bring out relatives of victims for weeks after any tragedy. I'm not a cold-hearted jerk, but how many times can you hear . . .

"How does this make you feel?"

"Sad"

Hearing actual news is just way too much to ask.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I don't even know how to start understanding what happened. The only thing I can say is, "Only in Utah."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
biscuit said:
I don't even know how to start understanding what happened. The only thing I can say is, "Only in Utah."
Not so. In Milwaukee Alexis Patterson disappeared before Smart and you've never heard her story. Why? She's poor. She's black. Disclaim that if you want but I beleive its true. Shameful.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Coverage of stories like Elizabeth Smart's makes me yearn for the glory days of Gary Condit. Connie Chung, where are you?!

biscuit

Cyburbian
bturk said:

Not so. In Milwaukee Alexis Patterson disappeared before Smart and you've never heard her story. Why? She's poor. She's black. Disclaim that if you want but I beleive its true. Shameful.

I agree 100% that it's shameful a wealthy white girl gets non-stop national media attention when she goes missing but a poor black girl's disappearance isn't even covered by her hometown press.

What I meant by "only in Utah" is that this girl was paraded around as one of the alleged abductors wives wearing full face and body covering and no one found this odd or worthy of attention. If any of you have ever spent a little time in Salt Lake before, you have to admit that sometimes things there can seem a little... off.

Last edited:
bturk said:

Of course it's true. There's a serial killer running loose in Baton Rouge right now....unfortunately they just discovered another victim last night. That makes the total up to 4 now. 2 of the victims were black and there was hardly any media coverage on them when they disappeared.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Exactly!

Every time I hear "Elizabeth Smart" on the TV, I want to throw a brick through the screen.

Planderella said:

Of course it's true. There's a serial killer running loose in Baton Rouge right now....unfortunately they just discovered another victim last night. That makes the total up to 4 now. 2 of the victims were black and there was hardly any media coverage on them when they disappeared.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Spot on! Well said! This is the primary reason why I hate the Elizabeth Smart story.

All those scared mommies out there are eating-up this story and the advertising that supports it.

The networks know middle-America could care less about a missing black girl.

bturk said:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I never really paid much attention to the dad, but that guy is a peice of work. He was on tv lashing out against Wisconsin congressmen Jim Sensenbrenner about some kiddnapping bill that is in committee. You would think that he would be spending time with his daughter instead of getting more airtime.

He kind of has a Matthew Modine meets Jack (from Will and Grace) thing going on.

jmf

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

Since the 1980s 62 women have gone missing from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. Many are assumed to have been drug addicts and/or prostitutes. To date one person, Robert Pickton, has been charged with 15 murders.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/robert_pickton/1.html

http://www.missingpeople.net/home.html