• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Environmental alert: the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the site:

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is perhaps the single most prevalent of all chemicals that can be dangerous to human life. Despite this truth, most people are not unduly concerned about the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Governments, civic leaders, corporations, military organizations, and citizens in every walk of life seem to either be ignorant of or shrug off the truth about Dihydrogen Monoxide as not being applicable to them. This concerns us.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Stay away from the Tittabawassee River in the Midland and Saginaw areas of central lower Michigan.

Dioxin!

Learn more about the Dow Chemical Company, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and the residents who live along the Tittabawassee River and have dioxin contamination in their backyard that exceeds the state allowable limit: Tittabawassee River Watch.

In TRW's opinion, the random sampling of 22 properties (out of ~2000) suggests the dioxin is everywhere in the flood plain at levels well beyond the States 90 ppt TEQ, including surface levels. If you live in the 100 year flood plain, assume your property is contaminated, possibly with very high levels.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some of the more common uses of DHMO include
by the Church of Scientology on their members and their members' families,
by both the KKK and the NAACP during rallies and marches,

They claim that they present their information in an honest and non-biased manner. Say what?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Something's not right here.

michaelskis said:
(I like that she has a DOW shirt on... makes you wonder how they got into the river...)

NOW, look a little closer Mike 8-!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Holy crap! If only I'd known sooner. I had been freebasing DHMO for years to improve my athletic performance, and make my hair thicker and more manageable. If only I had known the danger I have exposed myself and my love ones to. Perhaps it was DHMO exposure that killed my goldfish Bill last year. I just know those SOB's were putting the stuff in his fish flakes.

Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Had I known of the danger yesterday, when I got the stuff all over me, I would have taken a show...... hey! wait! Oh noooooooooo

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I know many of the great lakes have this stuff laying around, and in Niagara Falls there's a whole lot of it around closed industrial plants. Wasn't there a big dilema about dredging the hudson, because of General Electric dumping that stuff into the river, as well as other fun stuff like PCP, I mean PCB's?

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Wasn't there a big dilema about dredging the hudson, because of General Electric dumping that stuff into the river, as well as other fun stuff like PCP, I mean PCB's?

Yeah, it's still a huge issue too. Basically, GE doesn't want to admit wrong doing from when they dumped waste into the river back in the day, nor do they want to pay for the dredging. Some people, primarily those swayed by GE's propaganda, feel that the Hudson has "come back", from an ecological standpoint, on its own. However, there are still ridiculously high levels of PCBs in the river--in areas where people swim in the Hudson (North of Albany, near Saratoga)! These people are against the dredging because it will disrupt their lives, to an extent, for the time that they'll dredge. Furthermore, residents in lower socio-economic situations fish in the river and you DO NOT want to eat fish from the Hudson. Now GE is just trying to put off the actual dredging (which was ordered by the EPA). One local environemental justice group took blood samples from area residents and found there to be, on a whole, a high level of PCBs in the samples tested--not cool. :-\

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
michaelskis said:
My bad... I was trying not to stare at her chest.

That's Michelle Hurd-Riddick from the Lone Tree Council. The Lone Tree Council was formed in 1978 to oppose a proposed nuclear power plant to be built in Midland, Michigan. You can thank Mary Sinclair for leading the successful opposition to the nuclear plant.

SGB

Cyburbian
Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is perhaps the single most prevalent of all chemicals that can be dangerous to human life.

Recent weather in the midwestern to northeastern United States also show how treacherous DMHO can be in a frozen form.

As much as I agree we should ban DMHO, unfortunately you cannot brew decent :b: without it as the primary ingredient. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SGB said:
Recent weather in the midwestern to northeastern United States also show how treacherous DMHO can be in a frozen form.

The Web site does say that prolonged exposure to the solid form of DHMO can cause tissue damage, while exposure to the gaseous form can cause blistering and skin damage.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
This has now become the biggest concern in my life. Ban DHMO!!!

Note: content veracity not implied

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
You all are over reacting. I've used Dihydrogen Monoxide in my house for years with no ill effects. It keeps my toilet relatively clean and I couldn't live without it. I've even been know to drink a bit of it now and then.

Come to think of it, I've only had one bad experience with Dihydrogen Monoxide and that was when I was a youngster at the beach.

Really, we don't need to ban the stuff. Used in a responsible manner, humans and Dihydrogen Monoxide can coexist.

BKM

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I'm a chronic abuser of DHMO - I keep a 55 gal glass tank full of the stuff in my basement!

Oh No! An ARMED DHMO Abuser! Call out the ATF and DEA! 8-!

el Guapo

Capitalist
The DHMO Underground magazine is out. Word is you can score some at local truck stops and gas stations. You just gotta know where to look.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I understand use of DHMO in Mexico can be particularly dangerous to yanquis (aka gringos).

[OT] "Yanquis" makes me remember I kinda miss ol' SkeL. Hope he's doing okay.[/OT]