• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Essential Condiments

tsc

Cyburbian
Inspired by Maister....

I have some essential condiments that I use... especially since I make my own salad dressing..some of my standard condiments include:

Allesi White Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Good Balsamic
Heintz Ketchup
Helman's Mayo
Tabasco (red and green)
Sal's Birdland Sauce
Blue Cheese dressing
Frank's Hot Sauce
Worchestire sauce
Goya Green Tomantilla Salsa
(assorted chinese from chinese market....but can't remember exact brands)
Maggi
Malt Vinegar
Rice Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Sesame Oil
Gulden's Mustard (always mixed with a very hot horseradish)

oh... I forgot.. when I don't make my own bbq sauce... Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
white wine vinegar
Heinz ketchup
6,000,000,000,000 varieties of mustards
miracle whip
Frank's red hot sauce
Tobasco red sauce
Soy sauce

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Deli Direct, from somewhere up in Wisconsin, always makes a run through here in early December and I always buy his Hot B!tch at the Beach sauce. It is as its name implies -- yeeeeeeeehaaaaa and his pepperoni is the absolute best.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Tony Chachere's Seasoning, especially the More Spice variety
Crystal Hot Sauce
Mustard, both brown and yellow
Mayo
Zatarain's Liquid Seafood Boil (spices up soups, corned beef, brisket, etc., plus for boiling seafood)
Cajun Power Garlic Sauce
Cocktail Sauce
Barbecue sauce (usually an inexpensive one because I add stuff to it)

nerudite

Cyburbian
About 10 types of mustard (I guess I'm just a neophyte next to Maister)
Red and GREEN tabasco
Vietnamese sweet chili sauce
A few different types of vinegar

H

Cyburbian
I go on kicks and right now I am really into Pukka (Jamacian) hot sauce.

Hot Damn its good!! 8-!

For me, condiments are often the best part of a meal. For example: I will eat a hot dog only because I like sweet relish. :p

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
nerudite said:
About 10 types of mustard (I guess I'm just a neophyte next to Maister)
Ok, it's possible I may have been exaggerating. In reality I doubt I keep more than 5,835,622,257,001 mustards in my fridge at a time - so I rounded up.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hellman's real mayo
dijion mustard
worchestershire sauce
good olive oil
balsamic vinagrette

But my favorite is Classic Tabasco Red - for awhile in college it went on everything - particularly good in Kraft spiral noodle Mac&Cheese with well-seasoned ground beef.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
Heavenly Chef Hot Garlic Chili Sauce (this, and only this, brand-which is carried only by Safeway, which I otherwise avoid).

Nugget Markets' fresh salsa bar-various salsas, including the Salsa Negra and teh Salsa Borracha-Nugget is a small local grocery chain which explains why I almost never go to Safeway.

Thai Fish Sauce with chilis. Eeew. But, sometimes I get an intense craving. The only problem is that the chilis are so powerful that it hurts both ways :-#

Mango Salsa from Kajma Native Foods (Trader Joe's has a rip-off that is not as good but is half the price.)

The only time I use ketchup is freedom fries.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
-A couple of mustards (anyone who likes mustard should really go to the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum You can sample each and every one of the mustards they have for sale. Good luck trying to leave without buying at least 30 bucks worth.

- Variety of hot sauces including Siracha red chilie sauce, Desert Pepper XXX Habenero, Chipotle Sauce, Franks Red Hot, and a whatever else I happen to pick up. I also know a guy who makes great hot sauces and sells them at local festivals. He does a great job mixing fruit and peppers...one of my faves is a Raspberry Habanero sauce.

- A couple of bottles of bbq sauce.

- Could care less about ketchup. I only use it on thicker fries (I prefer Malt Vinegar on my fries)

- Kosher salt (I rarely use table salt...probably a result of watching too much of the food network) and fresh ground black pepper

- Crushed red pepper

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Sriracha. Mm, mm good on eggs, mac and cheese, etc. I use it in place of ketchup. Marmite, tomato paste (can't remember the name, comes in a white tube with a red tomato on it), Alessi Balsamic vinegar (good on roasted portabellas), Nam Pla, soy sauce, Trader Joe's olive oil, and lots and lots of garlic. We buy the big jars of chopped garlic from Costco. They last maybe five months.

nerudite

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
But my favorite is Classic Tabasco Red - for awhile in college it went on everything - particularly good in Kraft Spirwl noodle Mac&Cheese with well-seasoned ground beef.
I went through a phase like this too. It turns new england clam chowder a nasty pink, but it tastes really good. :-D

tsc

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I went through a phase like this too. It turns new england clam chowder a nasty pink, but it tastes really good. :-D
OFF-TOPIC: a friend of mine from Long Island...mixes 1/2 cup of New England and 1/2 cup Manhattan Clam Chowder... I guess it is called Long Island Clam Chowder... I think it just sounds a bit nasty....

tsc

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
Must have: Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce; Speede (sic) Sauce for chicken!
Lupo's speedie sauce is a bit salty for me... and I have a recipe for their NYS Fair Sauce... also known as the Cornell BBQ Chicken sauce.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
You can't eat a brat without sauerkraut.

Mondavi has a great merlot marinade which I picked up on my last trip to Napa and have been meaning to open.

Tobasco
Tony Chacherie's Creole Seasoning
Zatarin's Creole Seasoning (or ANY seasoning by Zatarin's)
Worsterchire (sp) sauce
Crystal Hot Sauce
Cayenne Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Garlic Powder

donk

Cyburbian
In my pantry right now:

For the pepper mill - red, black, white and green peppercorns - mixed together
Tabasco - jalapeno, green and red
Apple Cider Vinegar
ketchup
3-4 mustards
2-3 bbq sauces
soya sauce
various salad dressings
mayonaise
various homemade pickles
olives
white sugar
this weird brown sugar, no idea what it is called
molasses
real maple syrup

BKM

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Yep-clam chowder and tabasco sauce!

I also destroy the health benefits of split pea soup by loading it with cheese :) and then dumping tabasco sauce in it.

donk

Cyburbian
With all this talk of chowder is anyone else hearing Mayor Quimby's nephew's voice "It is chowdah, say chowdah, say it frenchy"

Floridays

Cyburbian
Hellman's Light Mayo
dijon mustard
French's yellow mustard (for hot dogs!)
spicy brown mustard
soy sauce
teriyaki sauce
worcestshire sauce (sp?)
ketchup (brand doesn't matter as long as it's red)
Crystal hot sauce
Pace medium salsa
strawberry preserves
variety of salad dressings

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
- A-1 Steak Sauce
- Heinz Ketchup
- red pepper flakes
- Crystal Hot Sauce
- Tobasco
- Tony Chacherie's Creole Seasoning
- Zatarain's Creole Seasoning
- Zatarain's Pro Boil (for seafood boiling)
- ground black pepper
- French's Yellow Mustard
- K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce (different varieties)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Repo Man said:
-A couple of mustards (anyone who likes mustard should really go to the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum You can sample each and every one of the mustards they have for sale. Good luck trying to leave without buying at least 30 bucks worth.
Repo speaks the gospel truth. The Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum is worth the trip if for nothing else than to be able to say one visited a 'mustard museum'. Wife and I got our pictures taken of us being presented a jar of Boetje Mustard by the curator himself (used to work for WI Attorney General's office - now a professional mustard maven ....and funny!!). You can't name a mustard they don't have.
While you're in the area you might also want to stop at the park by Baraboo, check out The House on the Rock, maybe see Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen, buy some shoes in Black Earth, don't forget to spend a day at New Glarus too.

Tom R

Cyburbian
saucy

Tobasco, especially the new Habanero sauce (danger!)
Anybody try Dave's Insanity?
Anybody live to talk about it?

boiker

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
Tobasco, especially the new Habanero sauce (danger!)
Anybody try Dave's Insanity?
Anybody live to talk about it?
Dave Insanity.. dangerous stuff. Especially when you were a bull-headed 22 year old college kid that thought nothing was too hot. So you order a burrito, bring in your own dave's insanity sauce. read the label, ignore the warnings and saturate the burriot in insanity sauce.

You end up crying your way through the most painful and tasty experience in your life. Again.. I was in college.. so I did eat it all. :-#

Tom R

Cyburbian
Dave's

boiker said:
Dave Insanity.. dangerous stuff. Especially when you were a bull-headed 22 year old college kid that thought nothing was too hot. So you order a burrito, bring in your own dave's insanity sauce. read the label, ignore the warnings and saturate the burriot in insanity sauce.

You end up crying your way through the most painful and tasty experience in your life. Again.. I was in college.. so I did eat it all. :-#
You're a better man than I, dumber, but better. ;-)
It reminds me when I was a more foolish 18 year old, a "friend" offered me a swig of Ron Rico 151. I learned that you ALWAYS ask what is in the bottle before trying it.

BKM

Cyburbian
:-# I've probably told this story before, but...

A gourmet grocery chain in Berkeley, California opened a new "hot sauce" section. To celebrate, they set up a "gauntlet" of hot sauces, wtih each sauce tasted giving you another raffle ticket. I believe they lined up 27 hot sauces!

I made it through 15 :-#

Two people were carted away in ambulances, and the police made them shut the contest down. I, myself, made it halfway back home to Vacaville. I had to stop at the office in Fairfield, where I had a very painful experience in the office restroom :-#

biscuit

Cyburbian
The most used condiments around the Biscuit houshold are...

Balsamic Vinegar
Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar
Heinz Ketchup
Spicy Brown Mustard
Hummus (Good on everything!)
Franks Hot Sauce
Hot Extra Chunky Salsa (for the lime Tostidos of course)
Thai Peanut Sauce
Mustard BBQ sauce (the yankee ketchup based stuff just doesn't cut it)

I can't stand mayo :-#, but for those of you who like it I've heard from several people that Duke's is the best there is.