Essential oils, diffusers, and aromatherapy

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
gtpeach said:
I have some oils that people have given me. I would never spend money on them, but sometimes I'll diffuse them because they smell good (I was also gifted the diffuser). I'm incredibly skeptical of them, but it's possible they have some very, very minor benefits. Some of the claimed benefits like helping with sleep or stress relief I believe are more psychosomatic than anything. But if it works for people, who am I to judge?

I had a friend that started talking about how she needed to stock up on oregano oil when the ebola outbreak was at its height. That one made me angry.
We actually have a diffuser and a little kit filled with a dozen or so different essential oils at home that was given to us by a coworker following some surgery Mrs. Maister had. I place no stock whatsoever into any purported curative properties this offers, but I do really enjoy the nifty scents.

The most recent fad to throw money at. I have a staff member who is into it. It smells nice, but I don't think I'd buy any of it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't mind the smell, but I don't like all the hype around the supposed "benefits". Plus as I understand it, they aren't too good to have around pets.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I don't mind the smell, but I don't like all the hype around the supposed "benefits". Plus as I understand it, they aren't too good to have around pets.
It depends on the oil. That's one of the things I don't like about them. Some of them are safe to diffuse in small spaces, others aren't. Some are okay to inhale, some are okay to use topically. I feel like it's too complicated, especially for something I don't really buy into in the first place.

Planit

Cyburbian
I guess my wife is old fashioned. She still lights a scented candle if she needs/wants to.

It depends on the oil. That's one of the things I don't like about them. Some of them are safe to diffuse in small spaces, others aren't. Some are okay to inhale, some are okay to use topically. I feel like it's too complicated, especially for something I don't really buy into in the first place.
Since I'm a wheeze, I wonder if that would affect my breathing.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Since I'm a wheeze, I wonder if that would affect my breathing.
Possibly. Particularly if you're prone to allergies. There's a floral scent in our kit - I forget which - but every time I smell it I end up sneezing my head off non-stop. I could def. see wheezing as a side effect.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yeah sort of my issue too. If I want something that smells nice I'll probably check into a reed diffuser. I like their look better anyway.

DVD

Cyburbian
In my house you'll die if you don't light a candle. At least according to my wife.

I am waiting for the companies to offer WD40 and Hoppes #9 as scent options before I just on that bandwagon.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Every time I see the thread title, I think someone posted some spam. Then I see Maister's avatar next to the title, and I know everything will be okay.

Anyhow, several years ago, I took a class about essential oils and aromatherapy at the local co-op. The intent was to break out of my comfort zone, but the class was really interesting, and surprisingly free of woo. I made a spr ay with lavender and some other oils, which really seemed to help me fall asleep faster.

This may not sound manly, but I enjoy the occasional "girly" bath with lavender. It's just relaxing, and it also helps when my skin is feeling especially dry and itchy.