• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Ethnic Restaurants

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Question: has anyone ever dined at a Scandanavian style restaurant? If so, how did you rate it?

There used to be a cheesy local buffet-style restaurant called the 'Sveden House' which was pretty much Scandinavian in name only - oh yeah, they had a smorgasboard (like I said, a buffet). Too bad, I understand genuine Danish/Swedish 'smorresbrod' can be a real treat.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister said:
Question: has anyone ever dined at a Scandanavian style restaurant? If so, how did you rate it?

My parents had a Danish Bar around their house, all scandanavian furniture. I can't recall the food, but it was better than the Sveden House, but not good enough to keep the place open.. it is not a Soprts Bar and Grill.

CosmicMojo

Planderella said:
There's a Belgium restaurant, "Clementine's," tucked away off the beaten path that BEK and I are very curious about.
I have always heard that the best food in the world is found in Belgium.

CosmicMojo

Maister said:
Does that include the cafe at Ikea? I like the meatballs!

cololi

Cyburbian
Maister said:

There used to be a cheesy local buffet-style restaurant called the 'Sveden House' which was pretty much Scandinavian in name only - oh yeah, they had a smorgasboard (like I said, a buffet). Too bad, I understand genuine Danish/Swedish 'smorresbrod' can be a real treat.

We have one near our house. The only time I ate their my sandwich had this white sauce on it that was absolutely disgusting. I haven't been back since (mainly because their service sucks. My wife loves the place though and goes with one of her colleagues who is from Sweden, who says that it is pretty authentic. I'll have to give it another try one day.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Maister said:

fish. fish. fish. fish. fish.

having recently been in Iceland i guess you can say we dined at some Scandinavian style restaurants. we ate whale at a Scandinavian Sushi bar. besides the ethical and moral dilemmas the whale wasn't that bad. the breakfast bar at our hotel offered some kind of pickled fishy thing for breakfast, along with tomatoes, cucumbers, deli meat, and their version of yogurt. their yougurt was pretty good. you can mix in various "toppings" i stuck to the fruit ones. the meat one didn't look very appetizing. :-|

BeansandCod

Cyburbian
There's a rather well-known Scandinavian restaurant called "Aquavit". I think it's in Minneapolis. Gets good reviews, but herring ain't at the top of my list. I think if you Googled it you'd find it.

Checked out the site for Cafè Polonia in South Boston. Nice menu, but being Polish I don't think I'd eat out on what I make at home. :D
BTW: if you're in the neighborhood, the Boston Street Market on Boston Street in Dorchester (south of Andrew Square) is all Polish all the time. They have the traditional smoked kielbasa but also the fresh garlic (we called it grey kielbasa, cause the casing would turn ashen grey when you boiled it), as well as jarred prepared foods and items from Poland. There are also homemade pierogi in the freezer in unmarked Ziplock bags. It's jokers' wild in terms of the filling. The place is redolent of garlic and onion and everyone speaks Polish.

Growing up in Vermont there were no Poles that I knew, so when I walked in there the first time I was dumbstruck by seeing an entire roomful of people who looked like me - and they weren't even my family! :p

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
BeansandCod said:
There's a rather well-known Scandinavian restaurant called "Aquavit".
Not coincidently, 'Aquavit' is also the name of Scandanavia's signature liquor. This past weekend I went to purchase some at my favorite party store and they told me they no longer carry it:-{ !

I eat at a lot ethnic places, not only do I love the food but it seems much easier to get vegetarian food, and with an actual choice, not just one veggie item. My favs are Indian and Thai. There's also a good Vietnamese place in town and a Nepali restaurant that has been open for awhile (it seems pretty similar to Indian in a lot of ways.
I still haven't eaten at the Indian place that took over a Pizza Hut building in town - Tandoori Hut!