• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Europe on high transport (security) alert

JNL

Cyburbian
http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3884-3177329,00.html

This kind of reactive, after-the-event security response kind of bugs me. Lets see some long-term security strategies that create safer environments, without making people more fearful, rather than short-term, high alert, reactive panic responses.

I know it's human nature to worry after something terrible happens, and authorities must be seen to be responding, but why not turn it into an opportunity to look at longer-term, less intrusive, positive ways to enhance community safety.

I guess I'm thinking along CPTED lines... looking at patterns of movement, use of colour, signage, lighting, etc, to create a pleasant and attractive environment in which it is clear what behaviour is normal and what is abnormal. If someone is determined to commit a terrorist act, there might be nothing you can do to stop them, but lets put the emphasis on proactive prevention rather than reactive response.

BTW, I am not a fan of highly controlled environments with high-tech security systems. I think this should be a last resort, not the preferred option.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited: