• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Everything is funnier with a monkey #3

"The game-show angle represents a creative push to build word-of-mouth attention for Pepsi. "

are there really people out there that don't know about Pepsi? I'm just so skeptical about things like this. But then, I'm not a big fan of advirtising anyway.

BKM

Cyburbian
Marketing

I always thought that, most of the recommendations of "marketing experts" make even less sense than many of our zoning ordinance requirements :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
"The game-show angle represents a creative push to build word-of-mouth attention for Pepsi. "

are there really people out there that don't know about Pepsi? I'm just so skeptical about things like this. But then, I'm not a big fan of advirtising anyway.
My very own Pepsi commercial. I must have seen millions of commercials in my lifetime so I'm pretty confident I can write one. To keep with standard advertising practices there will be a white, black and hispanic verion for different networks.

- Setting - suburban skate park surrounded by tall palms.
-Enter 2 brightly dressed 12 year olds.

"Hey! Have you heard of that extreme new drink called Pepsi?"

"Pepsi?"

"Yeah, it’s called Pepsi! It’s a soda pop. Everyone who’s everyone is drinking it!"

"Let me hit that! . . . Wow!!! That’s intense!!! It’s bubbly!!!!"

"That’s called carbonation."

"Thanks, a million friend. I’m high-tailin' it down to the 7-11 to get a bottle of my own!!!"

- fade to black

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Unless they are launching a new product, there are some companies that just do not need to advertise. They include Pepsi, Coke, and McDonalds.

However, I would like to win a nice chunk of that Billion Dollars!!

donk

Cyburbian
Speakin' of 7-11, looks like they will begin marketing their own beer
MMM, beer slurpie.

Can't wait for it to be warm enough to sit on the porch and drink beer.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Can't wait for it to be warm enough to sit on the porch and drink beer.
Your not even kidding!!

Speaking of 7-11's, up in Saginaw (where I'm from) they literally have a 7-11 every half mile. There are like 50 of them. But unfortunately, there are absolutely none around here.

Speaking of monkeys - I *heart* monkeys!! I made Chad go to all these zoo's on our honeymoon so I can see them. At the Branch County fair they have this booth each year with a tiny little monkey that some guy pimps out for pictures. Each year I want to kidnap him and relieve the poor guy of his servitude, but Chad won't let me :(

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm going to refuse to watch this. This is so silly. I'm really tired of advertising invading every aspect of everything. Granted it is TV, what should I expect.

H

Cyburbian
Jtfortin said: Unless they are launching a new product, there are some companies that just do not need to advertise. They include Pepsi, Coke, and McDonalds.

I understand what you are saying, and not to sound like a “know it all b@$t@rd”, but actually they do need to market in order to hold their market share. I believe its called “Reinforcement Marketing”. I took a marketing class when I went to grad school for planning and this was explained that this type of marketing was a necessity or they would lose customers to “new” companies who are marketing.

But I get tired of it too.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Believe it or not...

Alan said:

"Kanchana, a 17-year-old macaque, waits her turn to perform on stage in a monkey show in Lopburi province, 150 km (93 miles) east of Bangkok, May 30,2003. Lopburi is famous for the thousands of monkeys that live side-by-side with humans in the town, and they are the province's most important tourist attraction."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030530/170/48hrn.html&e=16
Good lord, that poor thing looks like shes on her way to Bingo then home to watch the Golden Girls marathon on the Oxygen channel.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Anyone else see the resemblence to Joan Rivers? She just needs some pearl earrings and voila!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Now, now, making fun of Chet's dates is one thing, making fun of a nice person like Joan Rivers is another.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Now, now, making fun of Chet's dates is one thing, making fun of a nice person like Joan Rivers is another.
"date" assumes you have to buy dinner. I'm just in it for the monkey lovin.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Reviving a dead thread.

prudence said:
Best ad with a monkey is SNL's Bathroom Monkey

NO CONTEST!!!
http://www.thisislondon.com/til/jsp/modules/Article/print.jsp?itemId=18573425

This is London said:
This is
LONDON
12/05/05 - Showbiz! section

Jacko used chimps as cleaners
By Metro

Michael Jackson used his pet chimpanzees to clean Neverland ranch, his trial heard yesterday.

The creatures would help the star by dusting, cleaning windows and brushing the toilets, the jury heard.

In a clip of outtakes from Martin Bashir's ITV1 documentary Living With Michael Jackson, the singer described how he got his animals to help with household chores.

'They are very smart. Their DNA is identical to humans when you look under a microscope,' he said.

He also revealed his beloved pet chimp Bubbles was moved to a monkey sanctuary after he became too strong and started to rebel against him - like a teenage child.

He said: 'They are very, very strong. They are very powerful.'
Sorry to bring an old thead out of the past but this brought back too many good memories. Check out the bolded quote. Perhaps that is why MJ like's 'em young. ;)