• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Evil Planners working against the public good!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There is a good deal of truth to the techniques described. Think about any interaction with a state DOT. Don't they do exactly that?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Gee, I never realized we were all so under-handed.

Apparently this guy doesn't understand that, while public input is important, it is not always the deciding factor in what becomes the end product, particularly if it's not feasible or, in his case, has a decidedly one-sided slant.

I especially liked the comment about the middle-aged women knowing everything about everyone. Stereotypical gossips, I guess...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Playing devils advocate for a moment, the author has a point. In every project, the first alternative is "do nothing". If the planners didnt present that, then the author has a valid argument.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
WOW

I knew I was bad, but this sets a new low :)

Someone should start slipping some prozac or something into thier coffee in the morning. :)

I do believe bike related issues aren't dealt with properly. For instance, here in the burbs of CHI, you have to cross these huge bowling lanes to cross on your bike. When you do, the first thing that looms on the other side is an innappropriate lightpole right where you could run into it. I don't think it is done on purpose, just acomplished with no bike rider looking at the engineering plans.

green lizard

Good reading....

Try this link...
http://www.partnerships.org.uk/PART/ARN.HTM

This is what most of us have learned about
public involvement. If you did not get to read
Sherry Arnstein in school, READ IT.
She wrote it in 1969. And from my poit of view
it is still relavant today.

Most public involvement is a motion we are required
to comply with. Much of what comes from it, we
already knew. The best we can hope for is to educate
the public and make them FEEL like they made a difference.
I have seen very few cases of true public involvement (the
two highest rungs on the ladder).