• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Environment Exemplary projects: sustainable community on a brownfields site

Joshua

Hi,

I am looking for recent U.S. examples of projects on a large scale (e.g. >10 acres) that have succesfully redeveloped a brownfield or vacant (but urbanized, not greenfield) site redeveloped into a sustainable OR resilient OR net-zero community (ideally not just a resdiential development).

mercdude

Cyburbian
Not to pop the bubble, but most brownfield developments are (still) pretty hazardous to people - I wouldn't live there. I worked on a bunch of brownfield developments in CA and they included: lotsa soil import/export, VOC collection systems, vapor barriers, etc. etc. Particularly the real estate developments that have residential with VOC collection/ventilation systems, there's no way I would live there. Much easier with commercial developments - exposure limits are higher so you don't need as many/intense protection systems... because people don't sleep there and their exposure to the constituents of concerns are of a shorter time frame. What about the employees you might ask? Yeah, they didn't really get calculated in the equation.