• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Exploring Google Maps

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
That's a road? Bonus: random piles of rubble, again having me ask why they're so common along some streets in developing nations.

Somewhat better road, more rubble.

You think they could at least grade it. And clear the weeds.

Curbside parking? The residents of that street prefer piles of dirt and sand over stones and broken bricks.

I know it's a developing nation, but that wasn't a favela. Those were streets laid out on a grid. Sometimes, the block over from a cow path is nicely paved.

I really like this sign.

Wouldn't ceramic tile sidewalks get slippery in the rain?

Hundreds of new houses under construction. An aerial view.

DVD

Cyburbian
Meanwhile in any neighborhood in Phoenix, or is it Mesa, or Glendale...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has to annoy the neighbors just a little bit. Also, if the house was on the other side of the street, its price would pretty much quadruple.
I am more concerned with the white obelisk on the side of the road

No joke, when I saw that my first reaction was "okay, it's a Volvo dealership. What am I looking for here?" Apparently the only foreign cars are Volvos.
I kept that image - how to do an auto dealership in a form-based code world

But yeah Volvos in Ithaca lol - I bet they can't keep em on the lot, especially the used ones

What does the Subaru dealership look like?

Planit

Cyburbian
I found my retirement village. Welcome to Beer, UK!

I'll be in the Barrel of Beer...
Go to the Beer Pharmacy
Get a bite @ Beer Fish & Chips
Then head to Beer Beach

TOFB

Cyburbian
This was my neighborhood in Champaign, IL. Pretty suburban, but with higher density on the edges. My specific house is not important; a great place to raise a family.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love it when the camera captures people's puzzled look like the one above by the old folks home.

I just looked at one in Maine where the car had to turn around at a dead end in an apartment complex and some guy in a pickup is just waiting/watching it