• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Geography 🌎 Exploring Google Maps

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This was a totally random drop. I wish I was kidding.

As a planner, this pisses me off. Internal subdivision streets with lane marking as if they're arterial roads.

Quainter than quaint.

DVD

Cyburbian
You don't have enough warm days to have shirtless guy. No Florida, that's a thing there.

Planit

Cyburbian
These 2 mid-century homes were a few blocks from the house where I grew up. They have changed a bit from back then.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://goo.gl/maps/2Tqg1

This is what's left of the sea-plane ramp and the old Pan Am Village on Wake Island, a stop-over in the late 1930s for Pan Am's Pacific Clippers.
Reminded me of my middle school physical science teacher Mr. Robertson who used to teach on Kwajalein Atoll at the base schools. The atoll is the site of missile testing. He used to tell us stories about missiles being launched towards the atoll programmed to land in the middle of it. https://goo.gl/maps/5uDKNTqV8c6y5FMDA

TOFB

Cyburbian
Post pics of your crib? This was taken about three years ago before I got our front yard retaining wall fixed hopefully for good.
Crib

TOFB

Cyburbian
When you are using Street View to look at an intersection geometry and when you put the little yellow guy down you think you are in another universe. Link

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Do you like the corners?
Coincidence.

I will say though that I very much like having the side entry driveway in the current house. The old house was just a regular house that happened to be on a corner; this house is optimized for the lot.

Living on a corner does cut your odds of have a troublesome next door neighbor by half.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Plus some new fangled 6-wheel car!
Ouch. That hurts my eyes.

_blogger_4256_375_320_four_eyes_illusion_1.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Meanwhile somewhere in Phoenix a planner is being told to GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Wow. Looking through historical aerials Xavier College Prep, bought and redeveloped the entire north half of this small neighborhood along E. Meadowbrook.

Mr. Santa Hat is probably simply a concerned neighborhood preservationist.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Clearly, y'all have an entirely different definition of southern Indiana than this southern Indiana Hoosier.