• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Exploring Google Maps

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Granite? In Indiana? [giggles] Oh, New Englanders, don't ever change.

Actually, I was thinking more like this

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
They are right-of-way markers for state rights-of-way. Pre-cast concrete, stamped with IND.

In my google map link, I was trying to suggest that southern Indiana is not pancake flat. Because we are not. We are well endowed with very nice hills. :cool:

Planit

Cyburbian
They are right-of-way markers for state rights-of-way. Pre-cast concrete, stamped with IND.

In my google map link, I was trying to suggest that southern Indiana is not pancake flat. Because we are not. We are well endowed with very nice hills. :cool:

I always like driving through Crane.

DVD

Cyburbian
Turns out the get off my lawn guy I posted earlier is actually the property owner. I know because I mentioned the homeless guy in my meeting just now. The property owner laughed about it and said he was trying to chase off some homeless people. So at least I was right about the get off my lawn part.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I'll meet you at the Classy Lady, you know, that place that doesn't allow guns. I happened to notice the Classy Lady when I checked the site of a shooting on the east side of town. Four people shot at this place. I'm not sure I'd want to live the apartments next door.

If you ever look at my Strava account to see where I ride my bike in Fort Worth, you'll see I ride to a lot of areas. But that the area in the links above.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I rode by this house today. This guy really knows how to make an entrance, the most literal sense. The front door is on the second level (where the guy with the blue shirt is), and there is a bridge that takes you there from street level. Below is a carriage driveway (loop) where cars park. The house is complete now.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I rode by this house today. This guy really knows how to make an entrance, the most literal sense. The front door is on the second level (where the guy with the blue shirt is), and there is a bridge that takes you there from street level. Below is a carriage driveway (loop) where cars park. The house is complete now.
That is going to be one ugly house.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This pedestrian mall in Cumberland, Maryland is years past its return-vehicle-traffic-to-the-street date

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
This pedestrian mall in Cumberland, Maryland is years past its return-vehicle-traffic-to-the-street date

but in a pandemic world, isn't this ideal as things can easily spill out onto the pedestrian way easier?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That is going to be one ugly house.
Architect's house.
It's certainly "different" but the finished product does have a certain panache. It's not for everyone, but it's not bad considering the rest of the neighborhood which is well-to-do and ranges from mid-century traditional to mid-century modern. This one is futuristic modern which says to me "bold statement" but doesn't cross the line into "ouch." I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's an architect's house but if I had to guess, I would say more likely a lawyer's house.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So Fort Worth is getting a "new" city hall. We're going from this tired old brutalistic thing

to this modern tower

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
why is graffiti art the same font - how did that decision get made and that it's universal, world wide
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I believe the style originated in NYC over 40 years ago. Painted rail cars carried the style to other cities. Finally, images on the internet put us all on the same block.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
why is graffiti art the same font - how did that decision get made and that it's universal, world wide

I was just waiting for a train this past weekend and thinking it would be cool to create a coffee table book of railroad car graffiti photos. Seriously. Some of it is pretty good stuff.