• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Geography 🌎 Exploring Google Maps

In what window of years was it a thing to deliberately plan geometrically symetric neighborhoods like these?
Rando subdivision of the day. Liberal, KS
I don't think we have any of those geometrically symmetric neighborhoods in Fort Worth.

Another one. Planner friend lives here. Janesville, WI

Janesville, WI- Former House Speaker Paul Ryan owns (and maybe still live in) a multi-generational mini-mansion there.
I wonder if he or his ancestors had anything to do with making ^that^ part geometrically symmetric?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rando subdivision of the day. Liberal, KS
I looked at that neighborhood not too long ago! The pattern screams “1920s move-up subdivision”, and the housing age tells me it sat postlude empty for 30+ years, thanks to the Great Depression and WWII.

There’s alleys, but few alley load garages. Houses have mostly street load attached garages.

There’s quite a few interesting mid-century “architectury” houses among the mix. I saw a lot of cool mid-century modern houses when looking around Garden City, too.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I looked at that neighborhood not too long ago! The pattern screams “1920s move-up subdivision”, and the housing age tells me it sat postlude empty for 30+ years, thanks to the Great Depression and WWII.

There’s alleys, but few alley load garages. Houses have mostly street load attached garages.

There’s quite a few interesting mid-century “architectury” houses among the mix. I saw a lot of cool mid-century modern houses when looking around Garden City, too.
Did you see this MCM Mission Style just off the park, Dan? MCM Mission Style

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
In what window of years was it a thing to deliberately plan geometrically symetric neighborhoods like these?

Janesville, WI- Former House Speaker Paul Ryan owns (and maybe still live in) a multi-generational mini-mansion there.
I wonder if he or his ancestors had anything to do with making ^that^ part geometrically symmetric?
I can only imagine the traffic issues at those three perimeter corner intersections.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm honestly surprised that they are worth up to $150,000, but that's still relatively cheap in the Phoenix market.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I took a wrong turn. I did nazi the street sign.

bureaucrat#3

Suloszowa, Poland. Town is basically one long street 4+ miles long.

https://goo.gl/maps/kT48qhTEApQBt6nr8
That's an interesting pattern. You can tell there are fields directly behind the homes. A lot of the homes appear to be multi-unit, stacked or traditional duplexes with warehouse/barns behind them. Not what I would assume of a rural-ish place.

There is a nice castle to the south-east a bit. Also there was a cemetery that appeared to be all vaults.

I know next to nothing about Poland, so maybe this is standard.