• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Geography 🌎 Exploring Google Maps

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[PS how do you post the google map box like you do]

Google Maps kludge with [gmap] tags.

(1) Go to Google Maps, and center the map on the location you want to embed.

(2) Click on the Google Maps menu (three bars).

(3) Click on "Share or embed maps" from the dropdown menu.

(4) Click on "Embed map".

(5) Copy the long code between https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb= and ". For the map above, it looks like !1m18!1m12!1m3!1d93532.55571272006!2d-78.93448215309492!3d42.89621760304876!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x89d3126152dfe5a1%3A0x982304a5181f8171!2sBuffalo%2C%20NY!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1607881637462!5m2!1sen!2sus ,

(6) Paste the code between the [gmap] and [/gmap] tags.

If you want to embed a Google Streetview location, do the same thing.

Urbanism!

(See this post.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The back of this grocery/party store happens to be near Caribou, Maine. Yeah, I know, not all that interesting. Sorry, but they can't all be gems.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, are you saying that IS an interesting scene? Hey, I'm not from Down East. I can't be expected to know these things.

oh yeah, I wouldn't use that bathroom - or rather, if you did use the bathroom in there, you don't have to worry about the vaccine kind of thing

TOFB

Cyburbian
We were cleaning out my mom's house and came across this painting that I recall hanging in my grandma's house decades ago. Never thought much about it. Turns out the church was just around the corner from where she lived in Bowmore, Islay, Scotland from 1910 until she got on the boat in 1914. Google Street View link below.
church 1.jpg

Kilarrow Church

Last edited:

jsk1983

Cyburbian

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Dare you to regulate these murals -

For the Marines - Amphib

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
The Famous Peach water tower (butt some people thinks it something else)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ah, Liechtenstein! So close and yet so far. Maybe some day Google earth will be able to drive through, but until then we must content ourselves with merely setting eyes upon your doorstep.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What is it with European suburbs and giant triangular pylon signs? (In the first Streetview link, turn around to see even more sky-high triangular signs.)

USA! USA! USA!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoomed in down the street. Never been here before. 100% is a tough threshold.
I think it's safe to say that zoning in Austria is about as strict about adult uses as they are about signs.

Also, that's a violation.

That's a violation.

No, seriously, what's with the triangular signs?

Does anybody know where I can find a Burger King?

Beautiful Vienna.

In case you missed the first sign.

There's probably one BILLA store for every 200 Austrians. Plop the little Google map man down in any built-up part of the country, and it's probably 500 meters or less from the closest BILLA.

Really. I did a random drop, and there's another one, even though it wasn't on the map.

"But it's so much more authentic than a sterile American suburb!" Uh huh, NUMTOT. Whatever.

Googledriving through German-speaking areas, it seems like Dengisch is everywhere.