• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Geography 🌎 Exploring Google Maps

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Railcars

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
State Highpoints

Nebraska

Kansas

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 15 lane wide Driscoll Bridge that crosses the Raritan River and carries Garden State Parkway traffic to and from the Jersey Shore. Running parallel next to it are the north and south bound Route 9 bridges. It can me a little disconcerting to be in the right most northbound lane on the Driscoll because traffic to your right is coming the opposite direction.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Blue shirts are part of the traditional dress of the proud Tulsa people.

Blue shirts and cowboy boots.

Find the planner.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I am, effectively, wearing the Planner's uniform today.

:cool:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In the City of Syracuse

That definitely looks foreign. I knew we shoulda took that left at Albuquerque.

Meanwhile on Prince Edward Islands. No not THAT Prince Edward Island, the other ones.

I seriously want to knock on the door of this building (hint keep zooming out to gain a true appreciation of the phrase 'uninvited company')

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Unique to Putman County Court House, Indiana -

a V-1 bomb

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Unique to Putman County Court House, Indiana -

a V-1 bomb

I once lived in a place where they had a cannon ball from the Civil War still embedded in one of the buildings.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
OMG, take a google stroll down THIS lane!

Here's a little further down the path

Dammit, I came here for peace and quiet and this place is crowded as all get out!

I. Want. To. Go. Here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
OMG, take a google stroll down THIS lane!

Here's a little further down the path

Dammit, I came here for peace and quiet and this place is crowded as all get out!

I. Want. To. Go. Here.

Both pretty and pretty desolate

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One thing I have to say about the 2020 Google Earth street view images is that there are a wealth of images found in various CBD's that cry out for a narrator's voice...
"mankind thought they had achieved the pinnacle of creation. Little did they realize the apocalypse that would soon follow. Look upon these streets now filled with tumbleweeds and try to imagine a time when throngs of people went about their daily lives in blissful ignorance of the horrors that would soon come...."

Planit

Cyburbian
A great local's place to eat. One of our stops when we get down that way.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'll meet you at the Classy Lady, you know, that place that doesn't allow guns. I happened to notice the Classy Lady when I checked the site of a shooting on the east side of town. Four people shot at this place. I'm not sure I'd want to live the apartments next door.

If you ever look at my Strava account to see where I ride my bike in Fort Worth, you'll see I ride to a lot of areas. But that the area in the links above.

Right next to the Antigua Village that @SlaveToTheGrind posted:

Three people shot, one person hit by car during drive-by shooting at Fort Worth food mart

The Fort Worth Police Department is investigating the motive behind a late night shooting that injured a total of four people, including three who were shot.

Just before midnight, a suspect drove by Smokey’s Paradise Food Mart, 5310 East Rosedale Street, and opened fire on a large party at the store. Multiple shots were fired and three people sustained gunshot wounds. A fourth individual was struck by a vehicle that was fleeing the scene.

MedStar paramedics transported all injured persons to local hospitals. None received any life-threatening injuries.

Detectives believe this may have been gang related. Units are investigating the incident.

Yeah, not a great neighborhood.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today's Google Streetview scavenger hunt -- find the following.

1) :nj: A guido in New Jersey.

2) :australia: A business sign in Australia showing the proprietor's face. (It's an Aussie phenomenon, so it shouldn't be that hard.)

3) :cat: Something ^(>o<)^ OMG KAWAII!! ^(>o<)^ in Japan.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Today's Google Streetview scavenger hunt -- find the following.

1) :nj: A guido in New Jersey.

2) :australia: A business sign in Australia showing the proprietor's face. (It's an Aussie phenomenon, so it shouldn't be that hard.)

3) :cat: Something ^(>o<)^ OMG KAWAII!! ^(>o<)^ in Japan.
Guido.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What can be worse than a town hall building is a metal garage?

A Dollar General trailer in the parking lot.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Looks like the only retail left in Moscow, Iowa, are three Pepsi Machines within 50 feet of one another. Guess you have to head to the town to the east for any services. :p

Moscow, Iowa

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Looks like the only retail left in Moscow, Iowa, are three Pepsi Machines within 50 feet of one another. Guess you have to head to the town to the east for any services. :p

Moscow, Iowa
That reminds me of all the little farm towns in the midwest. They grew up around grain silos and feed stores.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
explain this garage relationship to the house please
Looks like some Iowa thriftiness, if you ask me. The side windows appear to be five separate sashes, one used singularly, and four jerry-rigged into a pair of double-hung appearance (but with a MASSIVE meeting rail). Then the hexagonal window, and the odd round windows above the left over-head door. Note the overhead doors, one of which has three windows and the other two. The chimney is tricky, not sure what's up with that ...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like some Iowa thriftiness, if you ask me. The side windows appear to be five separate sashes, one used singularly, and four jerry-rigged into a pair of double-hung appearance (but with a MASSIVE meeting rail). Then the hexagonal window, and the odd round windows above the left over-head door. Note the overhead doors, one of which has three windows and the other two. The chimney is tricky, not sure what's up with that ...
no but it's way away from the house, connected by a sidewalk - it just looked weird to this New England/Northeast gal lol

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
no but it's way away from the house, connected by a sidewalk - it just looked weird to this New England/Northeast gal lol
You can them connected with a breezeway as well. It's a way to get from the garage to the house during rain and not get wet. Plus, it keeps you from walking in the snow in the winter. Whatever snow and winter are. I think I remember them vaguely.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Moscow, Iowa
I'm liking the 1970's vintage Pepsi machine. I'm betting only two of the three vending machines still work.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Looks like clocks above the left door. Why? Don't know but does not come across as windows to me. Maybe the husband parks in the 3 spot and the wife in 2 spot.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check it out, the warehouse district of Antarctica. Mc Murdo station receives all the supplies to support all the American bases on the continent. The station is one of three on the continent occupied year round

I wonder if the Google camera ever freezes or what does it do if it's snowing or raining?

I love that the google car came to this island - considering it didn't even go down my street in Maine, it's hilarious that it went here