• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Geography 🌎 Exploring Google Maps

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder if the Google camera ever freezes or what does it do if it's snowing or raining?

I love that the google car came to this island - considering it didn't even go down my street in Maine, it's hilarious that it went here
The google car appears to have a pair of legs in this instance

TOFB

Cyburbian
I wonder if the Google camera ever freezes or what does it do if it's snowing or raining?

I love that the google car came to this island - considering it didn't even go down my street in Maine, it's hilarious that it went here
It didn't want to get shot out of sight.

jsk1983

Cyburbian

I doubt the actual car went there. Maybe someone already there submitted the imagery?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Inspiration for the Cleveland MLB team name change

These are the ones closest to the ballpark

Planit

Cyburbian
When you get to the fork in the road, take it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I remember at one point MDOT was against the idea of round-abouts... then they went and did this:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of people go here when visiting Hawaii but we are going here.
My eldest learned how to swim in the first spot. My ex appreciated the filming of Baywatch there. Never made it to the big island but loved the North Shore of Oahu.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Pink Martini Drinking Elephant

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Sucking on a chili dog outside the Tastee Freeze....

John Mellencamp once admitted there was no actual Tastee Freeze growing up in his hometown of Seymour, IN. It was more the idea of what it represented to middle Americana in general.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The new construction sure looks better than what's across the street. Also the tagline for the business is great - the 'solution'
I'd be curious to know when that business opened. Seems like "solutions" was all the rage in business-speak ~15 years ago.

"Drapeco: your interior decoration solutions provider"

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Sucking on a chili dog outside the Tastee Freeze....

John Mellencamp once admitted there was no actual Tastee Freeze growing up in his hometown of Seymour, IN. It was more the idea of what it represented to middle Americana in general.
We didn't either. We had a Dairy Queen and a B and W.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here is a Tastee Freeze for ya -

or two brands together

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Here is a Tastee Freeze for ya -

or two brands together
Apparently only eight left and scattered around too, all the way from Anchorage to Vermont. The one in Chicago is now just known as The Freeze.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Looks legit.

Thanks to a typo in the zoning code, billboards need one parking space for every 10 square feet in sign area.

Planit

Cyburbian
The town's downtown landmark next to the park.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

π•Έπ–Šπ–Žπ–“ π–Œπ–”π–™π–™ π–Žπ–“ π•³π–Žπ–’π–’π–Šπ–‘! What have they done to Tijuana? I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'clean' or 'respectable' now, but it bears almost no resemblance to what I recall seeing back in '84!

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

TOFB

Cyburbian
Apparently only eight left and scattered around too, all the way from Anchorage to Vermont. The one in Chicago is now just known as The Freeze.
This was a Tastee Freeze at one time in an 'interesting' part of my town. Go west about a block and you'll see what I mean.Rockingham Road

TOFB

Cyburbian
Are you referring to when you click on the street view time line cleaned up vs the yard statues ?
You are a military buff JNA. Wouldn't you want a concrete replica civil war canon at your place?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Just a reminder that the built environment in the United States can hardly hold a candle up to the superior walkable urbanism that's the norm in Europe.

Strolling on European promenades lined with fine contemporary graphic art.

Majestic European architecture.

Fine European dining.

Quaint European mountain villages.

Whatever this element of advanced European infrastruture is, we estupide Americain proles can never understand. It's beyond the comprehension of our simple American minds.

Lush European urban forestry.

Majestic European royal palaces.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Just a reminder that the built environment in the United States can hardly hold a candle up to the superior walkable urbanism that's the norm in Europe.

BK or the Buffalo? Decisions...
BKbuff.JPG

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BK or the Buffalo? Decisions...

Unscreened dumpsters. Exposed rooftop mechanical equipment. :denied:

New Buffalo Grill buildings in France look like a ripoff of 1970s IHOP or Wienerschnitzel locations in the States.

(I love that IHOP, because (1) It's a holdout on a lot that's probably worth millions, across the street from a Metro station, and (2) it's across the street from the hotel where we stay when we're in DC/NoVa, and we eat breakfast there all the time.)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Unscreened dumpsters. Exposed rooftop mechanical equipment. :denied:

New Buffalo Grill buildings in France look like a ripoff of 1970s IHOP or Wienerschnitzel locations in the States.

(I love that IHOP, because (1) It's a holdout on a lot that's probably worth millions, across the street from a Metro station, and (2) it's across the street from the hotel where we stay when we're in DC/NoVa, and we eat breakfast there all the time.)
I love IHOP and there are my second favorite breakfast place. I remember them fondly from when I was a kid. The new ones do look different.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

Strolling on European promenades lined with fine contemporary graphic art.

Majestic European architecture.

Fine European dining.

Quaint European mountain villages.

Whatever this element of advanced European infrastruture is, we estupide Americain proles can never understand. It's beyond the comprehension of our simple American minds.

Lush European urban forestry.

We're all really the same...

How U Doing GIF

but seriously, maybe that's why the nice city centers like Barcelona and Paris are trying to go car-free becasue of the mess that surrounds and leads to them?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Apparently. Assume they own the lot outright? Sure its been there forever...
Actually, looking at the aerial photo and the developed properties to the south and west, there isn't much more that could probably be built on the lot given it's relatively small size.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I find the roof forms in Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego, Arg., a little perplexing. Such an opportunity for solar gain, lost. I wonder why?

Planit

Cyburbian
They make really good BBQ here. Their brisket is top-notch!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
THE OLDEST ROUNDABOUT
In the early 1870s, Taylor Holbrook, designed the round Fountain Park to be the hub of Blue Rapids. By 1876 a fountain was placed in the center and cottonwood trees planted around the edge of the circle. Shortly after 1888, sidewalks were laid, a bandstand built, hedges planted and a soldier's memorial and flag pole installed. There were twelve dirt streets leading to the park. Businesses built around the enclosing square.

It is the only round square in Kansas.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I thought our roads were bad ...

A block to the south:

A block to the north: