• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Exploring Google Maps

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Which means more 'anonymous' property maintenance compliant calls to the muni.
"I'd like to file an anonymous complaint....my neighbor's Mercedes has two tires parking partially on the grass and not on the driveway. Also, they have a "Chip, congratulations on graduating from MIT" sign in their yard which I'm sure they didn't get a permit for. And their landscaping crew on several occasions has started trimming the hedges ten minutes before the end of quiet hours..."

Reactions: Dan

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
"I'd like to file an anonymous complaint....my neighbor's Mercedes has two tires parking partially on the grass and not on the driveway. Also, they have a "Chip, congratulations on graduating from MIT" sign in their yard which I'm sure they didn't get a permit for. And their landscaping crew on several occasions has started trimming the hedges ten minutes before the end of quiet hours..."
More like...."I just built my 5,000 sqft house in this neighborhood and that 'person' in the single-wide next door that was there when I contracted to build my house has their garbage cans stored outside next to the front of their 'house'. Can you get here right away? I'm so very afraid for my safety and my property values."

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
More like...."I just built my 5,000 sqft house in this neighborhood and that 'person' in the single-wide next door that was there when I contracted to build my house has their garbage cans stored outside next to the front of their 'house'. Can you get here right away? I'm so very afraid for my safety and my property values."
Reminds of people who move out into ag country then complain about the noise and smell. And the fact that the farmer are out there before the crack of dawn working.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Take a Streetview drive around that neighborhood. It's a subdivision, not a rural road. It's either mobile homes or McMansions -- nothing in the middle. Also, here's a different subdivision in North Augusta with the same mix -- trailers or mansions.

A WAG: Roma or Irish Traveler subdivisions?
I looked around. It's likely a rural subdivision neighborhood from decades ago in the unincorporated County. When it subdivided in, say 1950, people just moved there that wanted to be 'in the country', but couldn't afford more land. Also, the subdivision probably had no public water/sewer utilities until recently. Hence the 180 degree switch in ownership household income and house size.

That is a prime neighborhood for residential teardowns. Ask WSU about the changes his neighborhood, which certainly rhyme.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I live on the other end of the state, but after living in SC for 7 months now I can tell you that it is definitely a state of the haves and have-nots. Not a whole lot of in between.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Take a Streetview drive around that neighborhood. It's a subdivision, not a rural road. It's either mobile homes or McMansions -- nothing in the middle. Also, here's a different subdivision in North Augusta with the same mix -- trailers or mansions.

A WAG: Roma or Irish Traveler subdivisions? EDIT: confirmed.
FWIW, my last name is a very common one in the Augusta area and based on some family history I've traced, I'm pretty sure I'm related to one of those clans way far back (the name is EXTREMELY common in Murphy, NC too). I recall once when I was younger some Travelers showed up at our farm here outside Detroit offering to paint the barn and outbuildings and my dad, who is generally one of the easiest going guys I've ever known, ran them off with the quickness.

I looked around. It's likely a rural subdivision neighborhood from decades ago in the unincorporated County. When it subdivided in, say 1950, people just moved there that wanted to be 'in the country', but couldn't afford more land. Also, the subdivision probably had no public water/sewer utilities until recently. Hence the 180 degree switch in ownership household income and house size.

That is a prime neighborhood for residential teardowns. Ask WSU about the changes his neighborhood, which certainly rhyme.
Those teardowns seem a bit more logical than what happens near us where somebody will come in and spend $400+ on a perfectly habitable house only to tear it down and put up some monstrosity but there are a lot of neighborhoods around the inland lakes in Oakland County (Commerce, Highland, Waterford, Keego Harbor, Independence, Sylvan Lake, etc.) that look similar to that one near Augusta. Many of the houses around the little lakes were nothing more than weekend cottages or summer homes up into the '90s when they started getting torn down and replaced by large homes. Some of them are very nicely built, some or stickbuilt turds, but they all dwarf their neighbors. It's not uncommon to drive around one of the smaller lakes here and see an 800 sqft house with a rusted out Econoline van and two (maybe broken?) jet skis in the driveway right next to a newly built 6,000 sqft brick and stone house with a couple of Range Rovers in the yard.

When I was in the Marines I dated a girl in the town @AG74683 works in and she lived in one of the craziest neighborhoods I had ever been in. It was a gated community with 24-hour security. The architecture was a nice mixture of trailers, trailers that were physically connected to houses, typical '50s and '60s ranches, and a few genuine mansions. There was a very nice lake in the middle of it and the place had the feel of a temporary campground that some folks just decided to never leave.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of mine went here this weekend. He said this intersection was extremely confusing on the ground. We looked at the aerial view and it's just as bad it seems.

He made some comment about the traffic engineer had to be on drugs when they designed it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A friend of mine went here this weekend. He said this intersection was extremely confusing on the ground. We looked at the aerial view and it's just as bad it seems.

He made some comment about the traffic engineer had to be on drugs when they designed it.

Wow, all that to avoid a left hand turn at the intersection?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

They need to just build some good old Michigan U-turns.

Much more intuitive.

Mound Rd and 16 Mile, Sterling Heights, MI

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
When I was in the Marines I dated a girl in the town @AG74683 works in and she lived in one of the craziest neighborhoods I had ever been in. It was a gated community with 24-hour security. The architecture was a nice mixture of trailers, trailers that were physically connected to houses, typical '50s and '60s ranches, and a few genuine mansions. There was a very nice lake in the middle of it and the place had the feel of a temporary campground that some folks just decided to never leave.
I'm pretty sure I know what subdivision you're talking about. That one has all sorts of issues. There are single family homes, both old and new. There is another subsection across the street with single-wides in it, AND a legal non-conforming campground

DVD

Cyburbian
It's a SPUI! Single Point Urban Interchange. Works well for freeway off ramps. Maybe not so well at that location. One of my last jobs here was talking about doing the MI parkway in some areas. I'm familiar with it, but haven't seen one come in yet.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Rt 22 in Union, NJ is a series of Michigan U-turns and it sucks balls. The volume and speed of that stretch is too much for that design.

How about a NJ jughandle :ha:

How about a combination jughandle/Michigan-left? We have one of those not far from my house:

1564670312900.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Nope. Just nope.

My limited experience with those were around Princeton, NJ and they are not intuitive at all.

Almost as bad as left hand freeway exits.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Just nope.

My limited experience with those were around Princeton, NJ and they are not intuitive at all.

Almost as bad as left hand freeway exits.
You must be talking about US 1 & Washington Rd stretch. The only moving violation I've received in NJ was in that intersection due to a tractor trailer in front of me. I ended up with an obstructing traffic ticket rather than running a red light (I argued that you had to actually be moving to "run" the red light, I was stuck).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You must be talking about US 1 & Washington Rd stretch. The only moving violation I've received in NJ was in that intersection due to a tractor trailer in front of me. I ended up with an obstructing traffic ticket rather than running a red light (I argued that you had to actually be moving to "run" the red light, I was stuck).
Exactly. It was weird and certainly too small to handle the amount of traffic in the area now. Maybe when it was built in 1930, but not today (or in 2015 when I was there).

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Rt 22 in Union, NJ is a series of Michigan U-turns and it sucks balls. The volume and speed of that stretch is too much for that design.

Hey I grew up driving that back in the 70's

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I grew up driving that back in the 70's
Pretty sure there wasn't nearly the volume of traffic as there is today and the number of destination business there have increased.

Planit

Cyburbian
Read a piece from Outside magazine on a missionary who went here … Read the 'reviews' that many have posted since that article came out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Equal opportunity. Usually it's females we see doing that as they balance water on their heads for three miles. Is it just me, or do they have kind of wide r.o.w.'s?
I really find these little dorps in South Africa fascinating. Here's another one from Christiana for Veloise.

She'd have a much easier time if she learned to balance groceries on her head, too.

That's a violation.

♪♫♬ At the Hamper Shop, we sell hampers .. and that's all! ♪♫♬

I think the Public Works Department in Christiana needs to take a refresher course.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always an interesting intersection that I drive through on my way home from work. https://goo.gl/maps/r7C1cbbeLkByu2UK6

Academy Street is a two way.
Van Reypen Stree is a one way going SW below Academy Street and a one way going NE above Academy Street.
Tonnelle Ave is a one way going into Academy Street.

Drivers are often confused at which way to go and there is heavy pedestrian traffic as well.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Fresh satellite views of my City were taken probably in mid April with the river 4-5 feet over flood stage and 3-4 feet under the record crest which was to come. The infamous HESCO barrier is in place, but its days are numbered. Failed on April 30.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Always an interesting intersection that I drive through on my way home from work. https://goo.gl/maps/r7C1cbbeLkByu2UK6

Academy Street is a two way.
Van Reypen Stree is a one way going SW below Academy Street and a one way going NE above Academy Street.
Tonnelle Ave is a one way going into Academy Street.

Drivers are often confused at which way to go and there is heavy pedestrian traffic as well.
That neighborhood needs more power lines.

• Haha

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Location! Location! Location!

That sort of reminds me of this series of houses I pass on my way home from work. What better place than to build a few 5,000 square foot million dollar homes than about 20 feet back from an 8 lane divided highway! The aerial view on Google Maps shows absolutely no traffic in either direction on the entire stretch of highway, but I think that might just be a fluke of how Google splices together their aerials. That's one of the busiest stretches of road in Michigan and traffic is basically bumper-to-bumper in front of those houses from 7:30 in the morning until about 5:00 in the afternoon.

• Wow

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think its a cool view, but I wouldn't say worst or best, though.
If I was a Millennial urbanist, I could say it has an authentic view, full of genuine, real Rust Belt chic grit, not at all like the sanitized views of mountains or city lights that entitled Boomers get in Denver, Boise, or some other fake, Disneyfied "lifestyle community", maaaaan. :hipsterbeard:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And the world's busiest location. Seriously. From the second link:

Kmart is so popular in Guam that it’s a regular destination for tour buses and people stop to take selfies there. It also reportedly earned triple the revenue of the next highest-grossing Kmart in the world. What a strange, strange turn of events! ...

As you might guess, parking at the store can be a bear, but if you plan to visit, you do have some options. Tour buses stop out front of the retailer regularly. Rather drive your own rental car? No problem! If the ground level lot is too full for your liking, you can park on the roof.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the world's busiest location. Seriously. From the second link:

Kmart is so popular in Guam that it’s a regular destination for tour buses and people stop to take selfies there. It also reportedly earned triple the revenue of the next highest-grossing Kmart in the world. What a strange, strange turn of events! ...

As you might guess, parking at the store can be a bear, but if you plan to visit, you do have some options. Tour buses stop out front of the retailer regularly. Rather drive your own rental car? No problem! If the ground level lot is too full for your liking, you can park on the roof.
The Kmart in Honolulu was pretty popping when I was there in 2001. A lady at the car rental place told me to shop the "islandwear" section there for the best deals on swimming suits, dresses, shirts, shorts, and flipflops. She was right. It might have closed though more recently given all their troubles.