• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Exploring Google Maps

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We have a neighborhood in the northern part of the jurisdiction that was developed when the county had planning authority in that area in the late 1960s (after our joint planning effort went in the tank). It seems very similar to these Pittsburgh area neighborhoods - narrow rights-of-way, no curbs or sidewalks, ditches as drainage conveyances on both sides of the street, public utilities overhead at the back of the r-o-w, poor or non-existent connectivity*. Though the local ones are fairly well maintained, the 2008 Great Recession hurt them more than neighborhoods nearby that developed under city standards.

We haven't annexed these areas because the cost of the retrofit is a loser in the short term, but we'll have to take them in sooner or later.

*I forget what they are called, but it's a narrow strip of land held by the developer to purposefully prohibit connectivity. Still a headache to this day, to be honest.

Planit

Cyburbian
Just checking in on a street corner in Havana. Avienda 41 in the Bene Vixit neighborhood.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just checking in on a street corner in Havana. Avienda 41 in the Bene Vixit neighborhood.

What's the big deal? It appears the defenders held off the assault successfully.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crown Point is probably one of the best scenic points of the Columbia River Gorge. The building is called Vista House and was built in 1918.

DVD

Cyburbian
Meanwhile near the Phoenix downtown:

Yes that is a swan, no I'm not sure what the rest of it is other than the flamingo

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Crown Point is probably one of the best scenic points of the Columbia River Gorge. The building is called Vista House and was built in 1918.

I had to do a double take when I saw Crown Point. The one I'm familiar with isn't exactly scenic. Wow, that one is pretty.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
This isn't the Casablanca I recall seeing in the movies...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Beach houses are a joy. Glad we still have access.
I would love one now. My hometown, Alpena, MI is right on Lake Huron and it's beautiful in the summer. Currently, the closest is that my Dad's house in Alpena is 2.5 blocks from the City beach, so our summer vacation up there each year involves hours upon hours at the beach.

Pic 29.jpg
Pic 27.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is our beach house. It's 6-8 blocks to the bay (not in a flood zone!) and a work in progress. We've removed the trees in front so it's much tidier looking. New roof, siding, and doors are coming this summer.

We spend every weekend there during summer and I take off Mondays as well just to get an extra day :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wow-simply wow. Incredible scenery there and I wonder how old the stone houses are.
I know. Usually the name 'Andorra' comes up only in connection with trivia, but what's often overlooked is the fact that this entire country is nothing but jaw-dropping scenic overlooks and light dappled mountain vistas.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
WW 2 historical ship stern plate

back story -
The Enterprise Stern Plate: From Scrapyard to Small Town America.