• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Exploring Google Maps

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We have a neighborhood in the northern part of the jurisdiction that was developed when the county had planning authority in that area in the late 1960s (after our joint planning effort went in the tank). It seems very similar to these Pittsburgh area neighborhoods - narrow rights-of-way, no curbs or sidewalks, ditches as drainage conveyances on both sides of the street, public utilities overhead at the back of the r-o-w, poor or non-existent connectivity*. Though the local ones are fairly well maintained, the 2008 Great Recession hurt them more than neighborhoods nearby that developed under city standards.

We haven't annexed these areas because the cost of the retrofit is a loser in the short term, but we'll have to take them in sooner or later.

*I forget what they are called, but it's a narrow strip of land held by the developer to purposefully prohibit connectivity. Still a headache to this day, to be honest.

Planit

Cyburbian
Just checking in on a street corner in Havana. Avienda 41 in the Bene Vixit neighborhood.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just checking in on a street corner in Havana. Avienda 41 in the Bene Vixit neighborhood.

What's the big deal? It appears the defenders held off the assault successfully.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crown Point is probably one of the best scenic points of the Columbia River Gorge. The building is called Vista House and was built in 1918.

DVD

Cyburbian
Meanwhile near the Phoenix downtown:

Yes that is a swan, no I'm not sure what the rest of it is other than the flamingo

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Crown Point is probably one of the best scenic points of the Columbia River Gorge. The building is called Vista House and was built in 1918.

I had to do a double take when I saw Crown Point. The one I'm familiar with isn't exactly scenic. Wow, that one is pretty.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
This isn't the Casablanca I recall seeing in the movies...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Beach houses are a joy. Glad we still have access.
I would love one now. My hometown, Alpena, MI is right on Lake Huron and it's beautiful in the summer. Currently, the closest is that my Dad's house in Alpena is 2.5 blocks from the City beach, so our summer vacation up there each year involves hours upon hours at the beach.

Pic 29.jpg
Pic 27.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is our beach house. It's 6-8 blocks to the bay (not in a flood zone!) and a work in progress. We've removed the trees in front so it's much tidier looking. New roof, siding, and doors are coming this summer.

We spend every weekend there during summer and I take off Mondays as well just to get an extra day :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wow-simply wow. Incredible scenery there and I wonder how old the stone houses are.
I know. Usually the name 'Andorra' comes up only in connection with trivia, but what's often overlooked is the fact that this entire country is nothing but jaw-dropping scenic overlooks and light dappled mountain vistas.

Last edited:

TOFB

Cyburbian
I'm going to make a very American comment. I'm always surprised by the narrowness of the roads. FWIW, I know its due to them being pre car, but it still surprises me.
This is way off the beaten path, but somehow, everybody survives.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
WW 2 historical ship stern plate

back story -
The Enterprise Stern Plate: From Scrapyard to Small Town America.

Planit

Cyburbian
We have a few of those where I was born & raised. It was supposed to be the continuance of 7th Way South, but the road was never built. The r-o-w sits and is maintained by the city. It was a great place to walk and cut through the neighborhood.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This is Bass Alley, one of the few unpaved streets in Buffalo. It has a turf surface. In a way, you could tell a Buffalonian "Your Bass is grass". :r:
This is the alley behind one of the houses we looked at when we bought back in 2018. The house was pretty small, but there was a large garage/shop in the yard, which I would have liked to put a garage door on the part of the garage that poked through the fence into the alley, but it would require cutting that tree down to get to the garage. With a door opening onto the alley we could have had a workable tandem parking arrangement, with one car in the garage itself and one car under the carport between the garage and the house. (You can tell we seriously thought about making this house work; it was very much centrally located and in an area that's rapidly revitalizing/gentrifying.... but in the end it was too small.)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here's the four way alley intersection at my favorite former residence in Oak Park, IL.

The white 3-car garage was ours for the large two flat we lived in (upper flat) when our first son was born. We went from parking on the street in Chicago winters to having all of the 2-car wide side of this garage for our one car. That first really wintery morning when I left for work was revelatory as I pulled out of the garage with a car completely clear of snow and/or ice. :)

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Once we drank sake
Laughed at the dragon boats' face
House sits silent now :(

Rygor

Cyburbian
This is the house my grandparents, mother, and 3 aunts lived in from about 1950 through 1982. I remember it as a very young child. My mom and aunts all basically grew up there for their whole childhoods. It was a great house with really cool MCM features inside (featured once in the local newspaper). It sat right next to a creek and the lot past the backyard was all wooded and went all the way to the river. I remember one year as a kid the river getting almost right to the very top of the hill where it sloped down to the woods. Any higher and it would have been flooded. There used to be a pine tree in the front yard but its' long gone. The driveway used to be asphalt, too, but appears to have reverted back to gravel over time and lack of upkeep.

House

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'll actually be in the vicinity tomorrow - have a project involving a segment of the Ballona Creek drainage about a mile from your former abode.
I used to ride the Ballona Creek Trail to work. I heard after I left that stretch became kind of dangerous but no one bothered me when I rode there.

Planit

Cyburbian
Y'all wanna go to a soccer match?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
2 Mt. Washington's...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Because it basically is the end of the world.
I think that what's cool about. It's similar to what I liked hiking at Pictured Rocks. There were places where you felt you were at the end of the earth. The next closest piece of ground was in Canada, on the other side of the big lake.