• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Eye Wear

Do you wear glasses?

• Yes, all the time, I am blind as a bat without them

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Yes, I need them for reading. I'm getting older and my eyes are the first thing to go.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I prefer and wear contacts

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Blessed with perfect vision.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Other, that I will explain below.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

donk

Cyburbian
From another thread, the converation about eye wear came up.

So who wears glasses? How long have you worn them and do you have any funny stories related to them?

I've worn glasses since I was 7, nearly 25 years.
I am blind as a bat without them.
My last pair I allowed some friend's wives and girlfriends to pick out for me. The lens size is way too small to see out of, which explains many of my typos.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Glasses since 12. NoLine TriFocals at age 38. Jourdi LaForge at maybe 55?

Totally blind as a bat, and I used to religiously wear contacts, until a mysterious "eye dryness" showed up and now i pretty much wear contacts for the gym (easier to run) and fancy occasions.

When I was in high school, one of my contacts ripped, and utterly horrified by the idea of wearing glasses to school, I walked around with just one contact in all day (back then my vision was probably -6. I'm -9 now.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I do wear glasses, all the time, but I'm not blind as a bat; I can see more or less well.. only quite blurry... :p

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'm the only member of my immediate family that doesn't wear glasses or contacts. 20/20 vision and proud of it! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've worn glasses for about 4 years now. I only need them for distance (really just for driving - especially at night). I see fine out to about 20', then it starts getting a little fuzzy. I only wear my glasses when I'm going outside, or driving. I take them off as soon as I get to the office, or get home. I absolutely hate wearing them when I'm reading or on the computer.

I'm due to go in for my eye test in about a month or so. I don't think my prescription will change, but I'll probably get new frames.

I have the hardest time finding frames that suit my face. I'd like to get a set kinda like the ones bturk is thinking of, but my wife thinks they look horrible on me.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have perfect vision. It is kind of ironic because my dad is an optician and I could get a nice hook-up if I did require glasses or contacts. I do use him to get nice sunglasses for free and he sets up my friends with cheap lenses and contacts.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Totally blind as a bat, and I used to religiously wear contacts, until a mysterious "eye dryness" showed up and now i pretty much wear contacts for the gym (easier to run) and fancy occasions.
Ditto. I could wear contacts for days at a time when I was in college. I switched back to glasses during the Gulf War, and when I came home I was never able to wear the contacts for very long. I can keep a new pair in for maybe 8-12 hours before they are so comfortable that they have to come out. I now just wear them when doing something active or when doing photography.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have a slight stigmatism which does not require me to wear glasses. When my eyes get tired, it gets worse... so I do have a pair of glasses that I'll wear when working on the computer during long periods of time or for when I go to the movies (for some reason being in the dark in the movie theatres makes things a little blurry).

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Blind as a bat. Wear contacts always, mainly because I hate my glasses. Will be getting a new pair in the next month or two though.

Wow - lots of blind cyburbanites! we have AWESOME eye coverage - a free pair of glasses EVERY YEAR! well, because my prescription is so high, i have to pay to upgrade to thinner lenses, but still - its nice to have rotation of glasses.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blind as a bat and alergies prevent me from wearing contacts regularly.

SGB

Cyburbian
I was the only member of my immediate family with 20/20 vision until about 2 years ago when the eye doctor recommended low magnification (1.25) reading glassess.

I wear them only periodically, 'cause I can't stand 'em.

Jeff

Cyburbian
20/15 vision here....

I can read the copyright info on the eye exam charts!

10 years of the drums, plus the Marine Corps, and fire trucks have led to some pretty shotty hearing though.

donk

Cyburbian
My coverage for eye wear is OK. Covers partial examine and portion of glasses every 2 years. Being blind the coverage ends up covering the frames or the lens, i always upgrade to teh lightest, thinest lens available. i have a scar on the side of my nose from the old glass lens days.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Glasses since I was 7 or 8. Bifocals since 40. For a couple of years in school I refused to wear them. I failed the driver's license vision test. I was asked to rest and try again in a minute. In the meantime, a classmate took the test. Seeing my problem, he yelled out the correct sequence. I memorized enough of them to pass the re-test...Thanks Jim!

prudence

Cyburbian
Now eyeglasses free...

I had worn eyeglasses since the 4th grade and contact lenses since 6th grade, but I have recently had LASIK surgery.

In 4 weeks my vision has gone from 20/400 with a -4.00 astigmatism to 20/25...and it's getting better every day.

WOO HOO !!!!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
contacts, im totaly lost without them. i sleep in them becouse i am so blind i could not tell you if someone was in the room with me and as a single woman thats just...well not good.

got my first classes i was in like the...4th or 5th grade i guess. the folks would not let me get contacts so i had to wait till i moved out and 3 states away.

my sister needed glasses in about the 7th grade and after 6 months my folks got her contacts

sigh

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I just got my first bifocals a couple of months ago.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
I was blessed with better than perfect vision. I have 20/15 vision. My brother had glasses when he was younger, but never wore them as he got older, and my Dad now has to wear reading glasses, so I am sure that someday I am going to have to wear glasses, I just hope that day is a long way off!!:)

JNL

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Same here. I first got glasses when I was five. And then when I was about 15 I got contacts and they were great. They had a slight blue tint but because they had to be made by different companies (different problems with each eye) the tints were slightly different so I had blue eyes of different shades!

Anyway I used contacts for maybe 4 years, no problems, then I started getting really irritated eyes about half an hour after putting them in, and the optometrist said the surface of my eyes was damaged through lack of oxygen and that the blood vessels were growing the wrong way - towards the iris instead of away!! Who ever heard of that??

I can't use disposables, which let more oxygen through, as the technology is not available to make the prescription that I need.

So I'm stuck with glasses. I'm going to have a look at some frames on Saturday as I feel like a change, have probably had the current pair for 2 years.

Runner

Cyburbian
I've "worn glasses" for years. To be more precise, actually daily wear soft contacts.

In a few more years I will go get the laser vision correction. I'm still giving them a little longer to get all the bugs worked out and settle on the best technical procedure.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
20:200 vision over here; legally blind without correction. Contacts take it up to 20:20.

BKM

Cyburbian
Pretty blind since a wee one. Not a lot of change over the years, but my newest pair of sunglasses seem "wrong." Not sure if the prescription was wrong-or the optical lab.

I was a kid during the 1970s. Bookish+unccordinated+thick glasses+crewcuts during the 1970s "hair" era = not a fun school experience :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Since many are so blind, Dan should consider putting up a version of the forums in braile ;) :D :p