• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

EZ/EC program

oulevin

Cyburbian
What do you all think? Has the EZ/EC program been effective in promoting central city revitalization in its chosen locations? Are businesses being started/relocated, and center city residents being hired? If not, where could the program improve? From what I can tell, having lived in three of these, the success seems anecdotal.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sadly, I would agree that there is no consistent success. I would blame the mediocre showing on a failure for any "big picture" economic development planning and implementation program. Piecemeal solutions, as most EZ/EC designations are, will never be effective.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm most familiar with Chicago's EZ, and I would agree that there's no real evidence that it's been successful. There's been growth in employment in the EZ areas, but very little relocation of businesses.

I think the growth that happened in the EZ would've happened anyway, because of the economic growth of the '90s.