• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Fairly new

ssc

Cyburbian
Greetings all!

I've posted a few times, but never introduced myself, so here goes! I've spent most of my professional life (so far) at planning consulting firms, but am now working part time as the sole planner for a mid-sized Massachusetts city. I spend the rest of my time chauffering, feeding, entertaining, etc. my two young children, serving as the chair of our local planning board (NOT in the city I work for), and trying to go out on my own as an planning/economic development/GIS consultant. My real dream, however, is to become a real estate developer and do things right for a change ;-)

Michele Zone

BANNED
Welcome. Sounds like some good goals/dreams. :)

My dream today is to figure out what I OUGHT to be doing. :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from North of the Ohio River and East of the Wabash Rivers.

Main Street Maven said:
My real dream, however, is to ....do things right...
I thought of the lyrics from Man of La Mancha's The Impossible Dream (The Quest)

Rem

Cyburbian
Welcome MSM. My experience with Real Estate developers indicates you may be genetically unsuited to the profession if you want to do the right thing. ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Welcome from one state to your north :b:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Unlike some of us at this site, it appears that you've got your priorities and objectives straightened out. Welcome to the primordial stew which is the Thobbing Brian. I hold my Boulevard Bully Porter high in your honor. "Pet Me"

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yhhaee A real planner on a PB! Why do they always seem to be packed full of real estate folks and developers?

Anyway welcome from the DC metro area :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hi from Florida. You sound way too busy!

Too bad none of the developers down here have ever discovered the concept of doing things right.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome from a Southerner residing in the city where the the Monongehela, Allegheny and Ohio River valleys meet.

ssc

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Yhhaee A real planner on a PB! Why do they always seem to be packed full of real estate folks and developers?
Because (pick one):

1.Most of us planners know better that to sit on a board that meets for hours at a time and is generally reviled by the community.
2. Developers and real estate brokers get something out of it (eg. in a neighboring town, a real estate broker who sits on the pb all but promised subdiv. approval to a buyer when negotiating a sale - can you say conflict of interest?)
3. Why give away for free what you get paid to do doing to day?

8-! Wow, now that I think about it, perhaps I should resign!!!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hi and Welcome!
IF and whenever you become the real estate developer and if you do large projects( subdivisions with many lots) then can you try you best to apply some GIS model in the private sector. :) I haven't found any such out here.!!
All the best in any case

pandersen

Cyburbian
Welcome!

Glad to have you aboard!

Good to see I'm not the only fellow here that has served as a member of a planning board. Ah yes, I remember those days - just reading planning reports rather than having to prepare them as well!